9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 2:46 AM by Koraltop

NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown

Koraltop

I have an annoying issue.

My NUC is disabling the USB port if I leave my USB harddisk attached when shutting down. That means that it will not find the disk after startup (but it gets power, as the power-indicator on the drive is on).

The only way I can re-find the harddisk is to attached to another USB-port. Then it runs again.

The USB port remains disabled untill I cut the power to the NUC completely (remove the power cable).

It can not find drives attached in BIOS/boot-disk mode either, pointing to a hardware/bios problem rathern than a windows-issue.

I have tried to:

- update USB drivers.

- update BIOS

- change different BIOS settings related to USB drives

- other harddrives

- flash-drives

- disabling the power-save settings for USB

Nothing works. If I leave the USB drive attached during shut-down, the port is disabled untill I remove the power-cable.

I have a mouse/keyboard attached also. They work fine.

I have a monitor with USB-ports attached also - that works fine (but not if I attach a USB-drive!).

I have a camera that I have attached also - that works fine.

It only seems to be related to hard/flash-drives.

Any ideas what is causing this?

• 1. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
          sylvia_intel

Koraltop, would you please share with us the model number of the hard drive and the flash drive you are using?

I have the same NUC with BIOS version 32 and I just preformed a test using 2 different flash drives and I did not experience any problems.

Both drives were recognized immediately.

• 2. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
            Koraltop

Hi Sylvia. To do the complete test, you need to start up Windows 7 - attach the harddrive - let it be recognized - and then shut down the NUC with the harddrive attached. Then - when I try to start up again, with the harddrive still attached - it is not recognized. If I unplug it a and reattach it, it is not recignized - not untill I have completely powered off the NUC:

I use the two USB-ports at the back of the NUC (same side as the power-cable). I have not tried with the two at the front (since my keyboard and camera are hooked up there).

The USB-disk is e.g. WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB  R/N D8B and the flash-drive a Sony MicroVault 1 GB. I have tried seveal others also - same result.

Best regards,

Allan / "Koraltop"

• 3. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
              mezza35

Hello,

i have the same problem of Koraltop. I have model D34010WYK.

I connected a Document Camera (Hovercam Solo8) and an Hard Disk (Buffalo MiniStation 3.0) on the USB at the front.

The NUC recognize the devices and everyithing works great.

When i shutdown, The USB port remains disabled untill I remove the power cable.

If i restart Windows 7, the system recognize the Document Camera and the Hard Disk.

Could you help me?

Thanks

• 4. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
                sylvia_intel

Guys I’m going to try to replicate this issue again. Please send me the following information

• NUC model number
                • BIOS version installed
                • USB driver installed
                • Operating system:
                • Peripherals you are using:

When did you start getting this behavior?           

Was there any change on the system configuration?

Any program or update installed?

• 5. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
                  Koraltop

Hi Sylvia.

NUC: D54250WYK - manufacturing date 10/2013

Bios: WYLPT10H.86A.0030.2014.0919.1139 - have updated at least twice - issue was persent also before that.

USB 3.0 driver: 3.0.1.41 - have tried searching for newer driver. None found.

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Danish. Fully patched.

Periphericals:

- Logitech MX3000 usb keyboard and mouse in front USB port

- DELL U2412M monitor with USB hub (issue present even if this hub is removed)

- periphericals attached: Logitech camera (issue present both with and without camera)

- LogiLink USB card-reader

- WD 2 TB external USB 3.0 disk (experiences the port disabelling if not detached before shutdown)

I have had the behavior ever since I started using a USB-disk. No update og installation of periphericals identified that could have caused the issue. I have tried removing all hardware I could think of to get rid of the issue. No cause or change found.

• 6. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
                    sylvia_intel

Thanks a lot for the information Koraltop.  Would you please try to update the BIOS to version 32 Intel® Download Center and let me know the results?

• 7. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
                      Koraltop

Hi Sylvia.

I updated the bios. It had the same effect as cutting power - and the disabled lower back USB port functioned again after update. Unfortunately, it cuts off again after shutting down the system and restarting it with the WD drive attached - i.e. the update had no effect on the issue :-( The problem remains.

Other ideas?

• 8. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
                        Amiroshn

Hi,

Try to enable "Deep Sleep in S4/S5" in BIOS.

• 9. Re: NUC D54250WYK2 disabling USB port after shutdown
                          Koraltop

YES!!

That did it. Now the drive is still available after a shut-down and restart - even if it is plugged in all the time.

Thank you very much!