7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 7:45 PM by allene

Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.

allene

I am using Eclipse with Edison in a C/C++ environment.  After a couple of hours Eclipse gets too slow to use and has to be closed.  It might take 10 minutes for it to respond and close at this point.  I first had this with Windows so switched to Linux but it is the same.  In Linux I am able to see that Java is consuming 98% of a CPU.

My guess is that some of the Edison specific plugins have memory leaks.  How do I fix this?

Allen

• 1. Re: Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi allene,

What version of Eclipse are you using? Also could you please specify which plugins are you using?

Regards,
            JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.
            allene

I just followed the instructions here https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/519930

This was installed on a separate machine from my Android Eclipse station, which incidentally I have no trouble with for two years. It is a Windows 7 machine and is Eclipse Kepler SR2.  I have added no plugins other than what came from following instructions linked above.

I see there are perhaps 100 plugins listed in the details of the install and I cannot find a list of the parent names.

I used the same instructions, but the Linux version, for the Linux Eclipse which experienced the same problem but my Linux won't boot up so I can't say what the Eclipse version is there.  Good thing I switched my development back to Windows!

Allen

• 3. Re: Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.
              JPMontero_Intel

Hi allene,

I’ll research on this and let you know when I found something helpful but it might take a while, please be patient.

Regards,
                JPMontero_Intel

• 4. Re: Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.
                allene

I accidentally left Eclipse running when I sent to dinner.  It was fine when I left and doing nothing while I was gone.  Normally it will show 275k memory and 0% cpu under conditions like that.  When I returned it was showing 738k memory and 95% cpu.  Completely unresponsive.  This was on Windows.  On Linux it did the same thing but I was able to see down in the details more and saw that it was Java at 98% cpu rather than just the more global Eclipse.

• 5. Re: Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.
                  mhahn

if you go to dinner I guess Eclipse deserves at least some CPU cycles?

- is this behavior reproducable?

- after which time does Java run crazy (approx)?

- where you still running SW remotely via Eclipse?

- anything else you did? i.e. if you just start Eclipse and leave it otherwise untouched I guess it wouldn't run crazy?

• 6. Re: Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.
                    allene

Nothing was running when I went to dinner.  Eclipse was just sitting there and perfectly responsive.  Later last evening, I opened Eclipse and was doing some development so using it.  I had Memory Manager open and after an hour or two Eclipse got sluggish and I saw that memory usage was up around 700k and cpu was at between 50% and 75% so I closed it.  When opened again it was down to 0% cpu and250l or so memory.  My programs are run on Edison and not on the machine so it can't be them leaking and besides from the Linux data, it is Jave that is the problem and my programs are in C and would have a different name anyway.  I should note that when I say they are unresponsive, I mean completely.  I can't close it normally.  I get a this program is not responding message and have to force close it.

• 7. Re: Eclipse crashes after a couple of hours.
                      allene

I am still waiting for an answer.  I have one input to add to the behavior.  I was using Eclipse with Edison the other day for a short time.  I forgot to shut Eclipse down before going to dinner.  Everything was fine and I left it not running anything, just sitting there.  When I returned there was an Out of Memory error.  Not just slow but out of memory with no option but to close the program.  This is a Windows 7 computer dedicated to this development so nothing else going on except perhaps Chrome.  In a normal development day, I shut Eclipse down every hour or so and restart it.  In contrast, my Android Eclipse on my XP machine will run for weeks without closing it.

Happy New Year.