3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 2:09 PM by sylvia_intel

How Do I Remove RAID From Raid Drives After Computer Crash?

Tj0727

I had a MSI DX70 laptop that had two drives in a RAID array using Intel Rapid Storage Technology. The computer video went out on the laptop and rendered it useless. It was sent in for repair but was deemed unfixable and the hard drives were returned to me. However, they were set in the RAID configuration and now cannot be accessed in Windows. (connecting them as an external drive) How can I remove the RAID configuration to get the data back? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How Do I Remove RAID From Raid Drives After Computer Crash?
          sylvia_intel

Tj0727,  I would need to get additional information in order to help you. So please let me know what kind of RAID array did you have? Raid 0 or Raid 1?

Did you try to connect both drives into another computer?

It is important to let you know that this may or may not work since the RAID is going to depends on the status of the hard drives.

IF you want to remove RAID from the drives, you just need to access the Ctrl I menu (RAID BIOS) and set the hard drives as non RAID, but this will erase all your data.

So please let me know the type of RAID you had on that computer before doing anything else.

• 2. Re: How Do I Remove RAID From Raid Drives After Computer Crash?
            Tj0727

Thanks for responding. I believe it was a RAID 0. I haven't tried connecting to my replacement laptop since I don't believe it has the RAID setup in the bios. My hope was to just somehow remove the RAID and get the drive contents back, but I'm starting to thing that's not possible.

• 3. Re: How Do I Remove RAID From Raid Drives After Computer Crash?
              sylvia_intel

Tj0727, RAID 0 is a very good option when you are looking for performance on your system, but for security and redundancy is better to create a RAID 1.

What you can try to do is use another computer, choose the RAID SATA mode on BIOS.

Connect the 2 hard drives from the RAID array. Do not try to boot to Windows from the RAID.

It will be necessary to have another hard driver or SSD with windows previously installed and then try to boot from it.

Once you are in Windows it will be necessary to install the Rapid Storage Technology software.

If the RST detects the RAID it is going to start a rebuilt, if the software is able to make the rebuilt you will be able to save you data.