4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 6:05 PM by Dan_O

Firmware update to SAS drives connected to RS2BL040

diablo_692

How do I update SAS drive firmware when the drives are attached to a RS2BL040?  I don't see this capability in RWC2 or the RAID BIOS.  I have 4 Seagate drives, but one is down 1 firmware revision level, so I want to update it.  SeaTools for Windows won't see the drives through the RAID controller, so I'm kind of stuck.  Any help please?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Firmware update to SAS drives connected to RS2BL040
          diablo_692

Never mind.  While waiting for a response from someone, I found out that I could update the drive's f/w by using the StoreCLI tool to download the latest f/w image obtained from Seagate's support site to the drive.  FYI, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, so this was the command line I used:

storcli64 /cx/ex/sx download src=c:\temp\file name

The "x's" will be replaced by your specific controller number, enclosure number, and drive number.  The f/w file you intend to download to the drive needs to be in the directory you specify - in my case c:\temp

• 2. Re: Firmware update to SAS drives connected to RS2BL040
            diablo_692

I need to upgrade f/w again on the Seagate drives mentioned earlier in this thread.  The difference now is that these 4 drives are in an active RAID 5 array, (i.e. 3 drives comprise the Virtual disk with one as the dedicated hot spare), whereas before they were simply unconfigured good drives and not part of a Virtual disk.  I'm assuming I will do this the same way as before by using storcli64 to upgrade the f/w on all 4 drives, but what should I do within RWC2 to prepare the array (since it's now active) for this f/w update?  Obviously I will backup the Virtual drive before attempting the f/w upgrade, but from within RWC2 do I put the array in some type of maintenance mode before running storcli64?  I don't want to mess up the RAID 5 array.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Firmware update to SAS drives connected to RS2BL040
              diablo_692

Intel guys & gals, any help on this please?  I tried the command below (filled in of course with the relevant info) first on the dedicated hot spare, but it failed to upload the new f/w to the drive.  According to the log it started and then failed with warning id 302.  I looked in the latest Software User's Guide at the storcli command and noticed an option called "satabridge".  What exactly does it do?  Do I need to add satabridge to the end of the storcli command to perform this f/w upgrade while the RAID array is online, even though this is an array of SAS drives?

storcli64 /cx/ex/sx download src=c:\temp\file name

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 4. Re: Firmware update to SAS drives connected to RS2BL040
                Dan_O

Hey David -

The RS2BL040 was built on CmdTool2 originally; that tool may work where StorCLI fails.  You can update drive firmware online; RAID Web Console 2 can also update the firmware from within the OS.

try the most recent  version of CmdTool from 2014, included in the firmware Download 6GB SAS Hardware RAID Firmware Flash Update for DOS, Windows*, Linux* and UEFI

- Daniel