Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel Iris 3D resolution issue?

TSot
New Contributor I

Hi guys.

I recently brought a 2014 Apple Mac Mini to use as an HTPC which has the intel Iris 5100.

Although it seems to work fine for 2D, I have a problem when I playback 3D content. It switches automatically from 1080p 23.976 to 1080p 3D 24 (not 23.976) which causes periodic hickups.

Does anyone have any solution to this? I run Windows 8.1 and have installed the latest intel drivers (15.36.7.64.3960).

My displays are a JVC X500 and a Panasonic ST50 connected through a Lumagen XD scaler. My older HTPC (with an Nvidia 430 card) does not have any such issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TSot
New Contributor I

Ok, so I figured out the problem and I am posting it here in case anyone else has it.

The culprit was the in the communication between the 3D bluray software player (TMT 6) and intel driver. For some reason, when in 3D mode, it locked at 24fps not 23.976. This problem was evident only with my intel 5100 which automatically switches to 3D when it detects such signal (the nvidia locks in 3D manually, even if the software player is not running).

I tried last night another player (powerdvd Ultra 14) and it worked nicely at 1080p 3D 23.976 as it should.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
TSot
New Contributor I

Following up, I connected the Mac Mini directly to my Panasonic TV in order to eliminate any other factors and the result was the same: 1080p24 instead of 23.976 on 3D.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Takisot, Apple has requested that all questions regarding Apple systems and software be addressed directly with Apple support.

Thanks

TSot
New Contributor I

Is this some kind of joke???

What apple has to do with your driver issue in a windows 8.1 installation???

Seriously???

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I

Ok, forget about apple. For the sake of argument, pretend that this is a normal PC which has YOUR graphics card (iris 5100), YOUR latest graphics card driver and is running Windows 8.1. Bluray playback is done by Arcsoft TMT 6 (latest build).

Can you confirm or deny it is normal for it to switch from 1080p 23.976 to 1080p 3D 24 (not 23.976) ?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

The drivers we provide are generic drivers and Apple has their own graphics drivers, so that is the reason why we suggest you to contact that company.

Our drivers may not work as expected on OEM system.

Remember that Apple's hardware has been design to work with MAC OS, so it you are using a non supported operating system on it, this could cause any unexpected behavior.

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I

Dear Sylvia, I do not think you understand. When a modern mac is on Bootcamp mode, it operates as a normal PC with windows and everything and it is officially supported by Apple (and designed to work this way).

I installed YOUR latest graphics driver which of course, work (no need for any special apple drivers). The only problem is that, when in 3D mode, your graphics card output 1080p 24 instead of 1080p 23.976.

Can you reproduce this issue with a usual PC and Iris 5100 or not? I assume it is not that difficult to test it. This way we will know if the problem is due to a driver issue or a hardware limitation.

Please don't respond again with a generic answer.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I

Will you reply please?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Takealot, Apple has requested to us that we refer all enquiries regarding Apple product to them.

I'm going to try to replicate this issue using one of our Iris 5100 system. I'll keep you posted with the results.

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I

Thanks, that's all I want.

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I

Sylvia, any news on my request?

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I

Sylvia or anyone else from Intel, have you replicated this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TSot
New Contributor I

Ok, so I figured out the problem and I am posting it here in case anyone else has it.

The culprit was the in the communication between the 3D bluray software player (TMT 6) and intel driver. For some reason, when in 3D mode, it locked at 24fps not 23.976. This problem was evident only with my intel 5100 which automatically switches to 3D when it detects such signal (the nvidia locks in 3D manually, even if the software player is not running).

I tried last night another player (powerdvd Ultra 14) and it worked nicely at 1080p 3D 23.976 as it should.

0 Kudos