9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 7:01 PM by Chen_yiran

What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection

Chen_yiran

Just like the subject.

Otherwise I download the 'edison-GPL_LGPL-sources-rel1-maint-rel1-ww42-14' package and what is it?

There are 'allarch-poky-linux' , 'i586-poky-linux' , 'work-shared' , 'x86_64-linux' in the package ,what are they?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Chen_yiran,

As far as I know the image building process requires Internet connection (Ethernet/WiFi). Regarding your second question, the Edison GPL-LGPL sources contain several packages for different applications to be include in a Custom Yocto Image. For the Standard Yocto Image they are not needed.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
            mhahn

it requires only internet to download all the sources. Once this is accomplished you don't require internet any longer.

• 3. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
              Chen_yiran

Thank you for answering my question .I mean whether it is workable that I download the all needed package at home and than bring them to a no internet environment to build the edison image.

Otherwise I saw the below passage in Doc Source Level Debug using OpenOCD/GDB/Eclipse on Intel® Quark™ SoC X1000 ,and I don't no whether it is workable for edison ,if so how to implement?

The step above can take as long as several hours, because all packages need to

be fetched from the internet and then built. If you have already downloaded all

the files previously (they will be stored in yocto_build/downloads), you can

execute a build without doing sanity checks on the network to save time. Disable

sanity checks by adding this line in the yocto_build/conf/local.conf file:

CONNECTIVITY_CHECK_URIS = ""

Especially, should I be deep into the sanity checks process to do this work?

Appreciate so much!

• 4. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
                Chen_yiran

Thank you for answering my question .I mean whether it is workable that I download the all needed package at home and than bring them to a no internet environment to build the edison image.

Otherwise I saw the below passage in Doc Source Level Debug using OpenOCD/GDB/Eclipse on Intel® Quark™ SoC X1000 ,and I don't no whether it is workable for edison ,if so how to implement?

The step above can take as long as several hours, because all packages need to

be fetched from the internet and then built. If you have already downloaded all

the files previously (they will be stored in yocto_build/downloads), you can

execute a build without doing sanity checks on the network to save time. Disable

sanity checks by adding this line in the yocto_build/conf/local.conf file:

CONNECTIVITY_CHECK_URIS = ""

Especially, should I be deep into the sanity checks process to do this work?

Appreciate so much!

• 5. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
                  Chen_yiran

If I don‘t build the standard image but a custom one ,and I have the Edison GPL_LGPL sources already, is it still need Internet to download the source?

• 6. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
                    mhahn

The thing is: by default the bitbake recipes have set the URI to internet sources. It would fetch from there and put them within the build/tmp/work sub folders. You would have to modify all bitbake recipes in order to directly fetch from local which most likely isn't feasible.

• 7. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
                      Chen_yiran

So if I have a good internet environment , for what condition  the Edison GPL_LGPL sources package is necessary?

• 8. Re: What should I do if I want to build the Edison Standed Image without intenet connection
                        DiegoV_Intel

Hi Chen_yiran,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been investigating about how to build the Yocto image without Internet connection.

When you start the building process using the bitbake command, the process will fetch the files needed from Internet. Basically, what you have to do is to change the source (SRC_URI) where is defined the direction where the process will do the fetch, and specify a local direction to fetch the required files from your computer and not from Internet. Those files you have to modify are the bitbake recipes (.bb).

Now, all the files needed are in the Edison GPL-LGPL sources, so you have to specify the local direction where are those source files stored in your computer to fetch them locally and not from Internet.

For example, if you open the bitbake recipe /…/edison-src/device-software/meta-edison-distro/recipes-support/i2c-tools/i2c-tools_3.0.3.bb, you will see the following:

DESCRIPTION = "Set of i2c tools for linux"
                        SECTION = "base"
                        LICENSE = "GPLv2"
                        LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=751419260aa954499f7abaabaa882bbe"

SRC_URI = "http://dl.lm-sensors.org/i2c-tools/releases/i2c-tools-${PV}.tar.bz2 \
                                  file://Module.mk \
                                  "
                        SRC_URI[md5sum] = "511376eed04455cdb277ef19c5f73bb4"
                        SRC_URI[sha256sum] = "23b28e474741834e3f1b35b0686528769a13adc92d2ff5603cbda1d6bd5e5629"

inherit autotools

do_compile_prepend() {
                                cp ${WORKDIR}/Module.mk ${S}/eepromer/
                                sed -i 's#/usr/local#/usr#' Makefile
                                echo "include eepromer/Module.mk" >> Makefile
                        }

do_install_append() {
                                install -d ${D}${includedir}/linux
                                install -m 0644 include/linux/i2c-dev.h ${D}${includedir}/linux/i2c-dev-user.h
                                rm -f ${D}${includedir}/linux/i2c-dev.h
                        }

You should modify this following section and specify the local direction where the files needed are located in your computer:

SRC_URI = "http://dl.lm-sensors.org/i2c-tools/releases/i2c-tools-${PV}.tar.bz2 \
                                  file://Module.mk \
                                  "

For this particular example, you will find the files for the i2c-tools_3.0.3.bb in /i586-poky-linux/i2c-tools-3.0.3-r0/, in the Edison GPL-LGPL sources.

The problem here is that there are a lot of bitbake recipes you would have to find and modify to change the fetch location. So, my recommendation to you would be to get a stable connection to Internet to build the Yocto image because it's easier than trying to do it without Internet connection.

You can check these following references in the Yocto documentation to get more details about this:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-SRC_URI

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#new-recipe-fetching-code

Finally, answering your last question; if you have good Internet connection, the Edison GPL-LGPL sources are not necessary. All the files required will be downloaded from Internet during the bitbake process.

Regards,

Diego.