5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 4:33 AM by mhahn

Start wpa_supplicant on boot

Precipice

I am building a custom yocto image for Edison and need to be able to start and configure wpa_supplicant on boot.  There are a number of posts on here about starting scripts on boot but no seem to lead me to the correct solution.

I am using systemd

I have seen the docs in the BSP Users Guide and the example on using the watchdog-sample service.  I see it being deployed to my custom image and starting.  I can confirm with systemctl.  I see wpa_supplicant service being installed by it is not starting on boot.  I need it to start.  I cannot put my finger on what is the difference and how I would go about starting the wpa_supplicant service automatically.  I think I am missing something simple.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Start wpa_supplicant on boot
          CMata_Intel

Hi Precipice

You entered that you saw some other threads related to this, I'm not sure if you have already seen these ones:

Related to how to enable a service by default

This other one is to run a script at startup, take a look at the links in there, it could be helpful.

Let me know if you tried this and if you not post your advances.

Regards,

CMata

• 2. Re: Start wpa_supplicant on boot
            Precipice

Hi

Was out of the office yesterday - did not get a chance to work on the issue.  I saw the 2 posts you mentioned and tried them both.  Still missing something.

I looked at the iokit-agent example and also the Edison BSP Guide.

I did some more digging and have made some progress. I can get the service to start on the board if I edit the files manually.  Still have not made Yocto replicate this

In wpa_supplicant-sane.conf I added my network block as below:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

ctrl_interface_group=0

update_config=1

ap_scan=1

network={

ssid="xxxxxx"

psk="xxxxxx"

}

I build and flash but cannot get the service to launch on boot unless I manually do a symbolic link in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants.  I looks like this section of code is meant to make that link but does not trigger from (wpa-supplicant_2.1.bbappend)

if ${@base_contains('DISTRO_FEATURES','systemd','true','false',d)}; then

install -d ${D}/${systemd_unitdir}/system
                    install -d ${D}${sysconfdir}/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants

# Install the wpa_supplicant service
                    install -m 644 ${WORKDIR}/wpa_supplicant.service ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system

# Install wpa_supplicant_event service for udhcp client start/stop based on wifi connection/disconnection
                    install -m 755 ${WORKDIR}/wpa_cli-actions.sh ${D}${sysconfdir}/wpa_supplicant
                    install -m 644 ${WORKDIR}/wpa_supplicant_event.service ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system

fi

My poky.conf file contains the following:

DISTRO_FEATURES = "systemd alsa argp bluetooth ext2 largefile usbgadget usbhost wifi xattr nfs zeroconf pci ${DISTRO_FEATURES_LIBC}"

Not sure where to go from here just yet and how to make that link work -  any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Start wpa_supplicant on boot
              Precipice

Okay - got if figured out.  For anyone else who has this issue here is what I did.  I am not sure if this is the best way to do it - I will let the Yocto gurus comment on that

I added 1 line to the if statement referenced below that made a symbolic link. 

if ${@base_contains('DISTRO_FEATURES','systemd','true','false',d)}; then

install -d ${D}/${systemd_unitdir}/system
                      install -d ${D}${sysconfdir}/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants

# Install the wpa_supplicant service
                      install -m 644 ${WORKDIR}/wpa_supplicant.service ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system

#install the symbolic link in multi-user.target.wants

ln -s  ${systemd_unitdir}/system/wpa_supplicant.service  ${D}${sysconfdir}/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant.service

# Install wpa_supplicant_event service for udhcp client start/stop based on wifi connection/disconnection
                      install -m 755 ${WORKDIR}/wpa_cli-actions.sh ${D}${sysconfdir}/wpa_supplicant
                      install -m 644 ${WORKDIR}/wpa_supplicant_event.service ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system
                 fi

• 4. Re: Start wpa_supplicant on boot
                CMata_Intel

Great news Precipice!! I encourage you to keep posting your results in the communities and if you have more questions in the future don't hesitate in asking us.

Regards!

CMata

• 5. Re: Start wpa_supplicant on boot
                  mhahn

udhcp actually shouldn't be required: ConnMan already contains a DHCP client by itself. In addition, systemd-networkd v 215 also contains a DHCP client, rendering udhcpc quite obsolete.