1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 7:50 AM by joe_intel

Motherboard Manufacturer Drivers and Intel Drivers

needforspeed

Hi, I heard you have to use the drivers from the motherboard OEM website. Intel drivers for example, Intel LAN drivers and Intel Rapid Storage Technology don't have changelogs? So would there be any security updates from Intel drivers vs OEM drivers? Also I think Intel drivers from their website is only for Intel brand hardware and that OEM drivers may be customised for the motherboard. I think the motherboard that I have is the Intel 7 series Z77 chipset and Intel 82574V Gigabit Ethernet controller. Maybe development time is long so there would be no security problems? I'm not sure how things work.

• 1. Re: Motherboard Manufacturer Drivers and Intel Drivers
          joe_intel

As you mentioned, the drivers the system manufacturers provide may be customized; that is a reason we always recommend them first. However, you may use Intel generic drivers while taking in consideration that you may lose such customizations or special features.

Intel supplies generic versions of its graphics drivers for general purposes. But, the computer manufacturer can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities, Intel recommends that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software they provide.

Most of Intel drivers are provided with a release notes document that you can find in the upper right corner of the download page. Such as this one for example: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23496/eng/ReleaseNotes.htm