2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2014 3:52 PM by julianak

Is there a way to fix Galileo Gen1 feeded with wrong voltage?

julianak

I was testing an Intel Galileo Gen1 board at my university. I got a 5V 2A AC/DC Adapter and everything looked fine, but when I connected it black smoke started to come out from the board.... Next I did what I should have done first: checked what was the output voltage that the adapter was delivering, and to my surprise it was oscilating between 5V to 20V.

Then I tried to turn it on again using a proper adapter, but of course it didn't work (the USB led doesn't light up, so I assume that the OS is not booting...)

Is there a way to fix it? I don't think that is possible, but I kept the board with me to check if it's possible to get this Galileo up and running again...

• 1. Re: Is there a way to fix Galileo Gen1 feeded with wrong voltage?
          xbolshe

It depends on damages. Sometimes just a damaged small capacitor creates a big smoke.

First of all need to inspect the board visually. Need to check a source point of smoke, damaged elements (fuse, power regulators, electrolytic capacitors, diods, etc.).

Also using multimeter need to check main components. Based on accumulated information it will be possible to make a decision.

There is a small chance that only fuse (F4B1 FUSE G899151-001 2.5A) need to be replaced. This fuse is located near with a power jack.

PS: it will be good if you post photos with a good resolution of two sides of the board.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to fix Galileo Gen1 feeded with wrong voltage?
            julianak

As far as I remember, the smoke was coming from near the 5V/3.3V jumper, somewhere in that bar of pins (VIN, GND, etc). Regarding the fuse, my professor who was with me when this happened tested it with a multimeter and it appeared to be fine.

I'll try to take some pictures of it to post here.