6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 9:05 AM by Shaffiq

Intel Edison Mini Breakout board...HELPPPP

Shaffiq

Hey guys,,

I just buy Intel edison mini breakout board set... just want to know is it possible to connect it to motor driver to control motor speed using

PWM ... sorry I still newbie ...

• 1. Re: Intel Edison Mini Breakout board...HELPPPP
          KurtE

The short answer is, yes it is probably possible to connect a motor controller....

The longer answer is, there is not enough information here to tell you much.  Things like which controller?  My guess is you will need some voltage level converters between the Edison and the controller.   I have not done any PWM yet with Edison, but it does support it.

• 2. Re: Intel Edison Mini Breakout board...HELPPPP
            Shaffiq

Hey  KurtE

Thanks... for helping me.

Here is motor driver that I used: Pololu - DRV8833 Dual Motor Driver Carrier

For example if I just want to blink some LED at Intel Edison Mini breakout board.. where should I connect the LED?

Here is the programming set-up :

#include <stdbool.h>

#include "mraa.h"

int main() {

mraa_gpio_context gpio; //create a GPIO structure/context

gpio = mraa_gpio_init(2); // Initialize pin 2

mraa_gpio_dir(gpio, MRAA_GPIO_OUT); // Set direction to OUTPUT

bool ledState=true; //To store the LED state, starting true (HIGH)

while(true){

mraa_gpio_write(gpio, ledState?1:0); // Writes into GPIO

//accordingly to the state

// true = 1, false = 0

ledState=!ledState; // changes state by negating

sleep(1); //waits one second

................................................................................

FYI... I'm using Eclipse (with Mraa library)..on windows 

Hope fully you can help me

Thanks again...

• 3. Re: Intel Edison Mini Breakout board...HELPPPP
              KurtE

Hi, I will try to help some, but as I mentioned, I have not tried out the PWM yet, nor do I have that motor controller.  I do have a couple of rovers, but with them I use Sabertooth or Roboclaw controllers and then mostly with packet serial.

With your sample program above, for blinking an LED, you will need to switch to different IO pin, as 2 is not a valid MRAA pin...  You can find out what each pin does looking at the Mini breakout board hardware manual, or from MRAA source location.  I keep around my own hard copy cheat sheet, which I posted a version of in the thread: https://communities.intel.com/message/265644#265644

That thread also has links to the other documents.

To connect up the Pololu controller, you will need to convert the TTL levels going to the servo controller.  The Edison is a 1.8v device and I think the controller is a 2.7-10.8v range.   I have picked up some TTL level converters from Sparkfun as well as Adafruit,  Also purchased one from Amazon.com, which took 2+ weeks to get to me as it was shipped direct from China.

Good Luck

• 4. Re: Intel Edison Mini Breakout board...HELPPPP
                Shaffiq

Hey KurtE

Thanks again for your advice ...hopefully its will be ok..

I thought intel edison mini breakout board have 3.3v supply .?

• 5. Re: Intel Edison Mini Breakout board...HELPPPP
                  KurtE

Yes, the Edison does have a 3.3v and and an 1.8v supply, but the IO pins run at 1.8v

• 6. Re: Intel Edison Mini Breakout board...HELPPPP
                    Shaffiq

ok... understood..thank you..so I need logic converter ...nice...