4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 9:27 PM by pima

IRST: ERROR TRYING TO KEEP EXISTING DATA WHEN CREATING NEW RAID 1 VOLUME

samo

Hello All. I am from Italy sorry for my bad english.

I have the same problem of this discussion left not solved Cannot keep existing data on a disk when creating Raid 1 volume with IRST ?

My system came with IRST 12.8.0.1016 and motherboard Asrock H87 pro and initially one HD (Seagate 500GB sata3).

I have installed Windows 7 HP SP1 x64 with setting AHCI mode in the uefi bios.

Now i decide to create a RAID 1 volume so i added a second HD (same model of the first). Then i had to change some registry values

to install RAID driver before switching AHCI TO RAID mode in the bios.

I followed these instructions with success How to: Change SATA Modes After Windows Installation.

Windows recognise succesfully new raid controller and two hd.

So open IRST GUI but missing create button. I update IRST to latest version 13.2.4.1000 but missing create button yet.

After i have downgrade IRST to version 11.6.0.1030 amazed there is create button.

When I try to build the RAID1 volume with the OS disk and a new added disk, IRST GUI offers option to keep existing data on the new

empty disk instead of the OS disk!

Why this error?

Is there a solution?

I tried also to build volume by IRST command line tool after upgrade once again IRST to 13 version, but error code 22 of invalid size!

Same error if i set max size.

Someone can help me please?

Thank you very much in advance for any responce.

Best regards

• 1. Re: IRST: ERROR TRYING TO KEEP EXISTING DATA WHEN CREATING NEW RAID 1 VOLUME
          kevin_intel

Hi samo,

If Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Version 11.6 is working for you I recommend you keep working with it.

Please note that when creating a RAID volume on the Operating System with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software from an existing HDD it will display a notification message that says “Completing this action will permanently delete existing data on the selected disks…” but creating the raid from the software will not delete the information on the disk and will mirror all data on both disks creating the Raid 1.

You can try also version 13.2 at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24293&lang=eng

Kevin M

• 2. Re: IRST: ERROR TRYING TO KEEP EXISTING DATA WHEN CREATING NEW RAID 1 VOLUME
            samo

Kevin thank you very much for your responce.

As you suggest, I also tried to keep going after the notification message, although it was indicated that it would have been deleted the system disk.

So it started working but windows has stopped responding and no activities hd led. After some minutes I thought it was dead, so I turned off the system.

I had to restore the system image that I had done before on a usb drive.

Ok I will try again so let's see if it can create the volume with my data.

But if it still does not work then I have an idea!

First I create a system image to usb drive, then I create the raid volume from Ctrl+I, so the new raid1 volume is intact but empty.

After I turn off the system, I move the two HD on another pc and restore the same system image on both drives.

So the data on the HD drives are identical and I can reconnect the disks in the raid system.

Do you think it can work?

Thanks again

Samo

• 3. Re: IRST: ERROR TRYING TO KEEP EXISTING DATA WHEN CREATING NEW RAID 1 VOLUME
              kevin_intel

It will work until the part of connecting the HDDs with the RAID already created on another system. Creating the raid from CTRL-I is the best step you can do to create a volume but if you disconnect those drives and reconnect them on another it is possible that raid will be shown as failed.

This is because the RAID volume was created with information from another system; however, there is a chance it may work if the other computer is exactly the same brand and model.

Kevin m

• 4. Re: IRST: ERROR TRYING TO KEEP EXISTING DATA WHEN CREATING NEW RAID 1 VOLUME
                pima

Hello samo,

where you successful creating the raid1 volume from an existing OS disk with data ?

Thanks,

Pierre.