3 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 12:54 PM by jbromley

Ethernet Over USB on Ubuntu Linux

Petko

I am trying to connect to my Edison via ssh and I need it to be connected to the same network as my desktop machine. The problem is my PC uses an internal network connection (and has no wireless). I have seen topics on how to enable a bridged connection for the USB for a MAC and a Windows: Edison - Ethernet Over USB (RNDIS) on Mac but there is no mention of how to to achieve the same thing under Linux. I can connect to my Edison via the screen command, and I can also make it connect to wireless networks, but I need ssh access from this particular desktop machine that has an internal network (and no wireless card).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Petko

• 1. Re: Ethernet Over USB on Ubuntu Linux
          Petko

I figured it out. So, essentially usb0 needs to be configured as a network interface. I followed these steps to enable it.

1) add the following line at the end of your /etc/network/interfaces file:

iface usb0 inet dhcp

2) sudo ifup usb0

3) sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.2

After this when you do ifconfig you should see an entry for usb0 with an inet addr:192.168.2.2. You can then connect to the Edison via ssh root@192.168.2.15. Apparently the IP address 192.168.2.15 gets assigned by default to the Edison.

Petko

• 2. Re: Ethernet Over USB on Ubuntu Linux
            CMata_Intel

Great Petko, I encourage you to keep posting new things in the communities.

Best Regards;

CMata

• 3. Re: Ethernet Over USB on Ubuntu Linux
              jbromley

A slightly easier way is to put all of the usb0 interface information in the /etc/network/interfaces file. The following stanza is sufficient.

iface usb0 inet static

address 192.168.2.2

netmask 255.255.255.0

Note that you should use static IP assignment rather than DHCP (unless you have something on the 192.168.2.x network providing DHCP). Once you have this information in your interfaces file, simply running ifup usb0 will configure everything properly to be able to talk to the Edison over the USB network interface.

Regards,

Jay