3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2014 12:54 PM by tintar

Wifi STA and AP mode at the same time

Víctor

Is it possible to configure the Edison wifi simultaneous as AP and a standard wifi client (STA)?

I'm trying to create a separate virtual interface (using iw), but I only get an error:

command failed: No such device (-19)

• 1. Re: Wifi STA and AP mode at the same time
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi Victor,

I believe that configuring the Edison as an AP and a STA simultaneously is not possible. You would need to configure one through wireless and the other one through Ethernet. The Edison doesn’t have an Ethernet port and that’s why I think it can’t be done. You can configure it, for example as an AP as shown here https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23137 .

Regards

Sergio

• 2. Re: Wifi STA and AP mode at the same time
            Víctor

Thanks Sergio by your answer.

I was trying to get it at the same time. I want to make a route between both interfaces. Clients could connect to the device (interface in AP mode) and go to other network (internet, for example) using the STA interface (default wlan0 interface mode).

Thank  you. I will study other alternatives of wifi functionality.

--

Víctor

• 3. Re: Wifi STA and AP mode at the same time
              tintar

I was prepared to say "in theory it should be good" given the BCM4334x seems to be supported by e.g. ddwrt.

i.e. something like softap/hostapd ought to handle it.

and as an alternative I was going to suggest if you could use mesh/WDS as a workaround.

anyway:

for me, the output of "iw list" showed:

valid interface combinations:

* #{ AP } <= 1, #{ managed } <= 2, #{ P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 2, #{ Unknown mode (10) } <= 1, #{ IBSS } <= 1,

total <= 4, #channels <= 2

so it doesn't seem to support mesh distribution? but still, seems like virtual IF ought to work...