Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel GMA 950 (945GC Chipset) Graphics Drivers - BSoD / Extended Desktop

NMarq1
Beginner

I have a brand new Shuttle X27D based system which features an Intel 945GC Chipset with an Intel GMA 950 Graphics Chip. I have just clean installed Windows Vista 32-bit SP1, and the first thing I did afterward was install the drivers provided by Shuttle. These drivers appear to be dated 10/31/2007 and version 7.14.10.1364 according to the igdlh.inf file.

Basically, after installing the Shuttle provided graphics drivers, I had setup my display configuration which included the VGA output as a standard monitor, and the DVI output is routed to a Kramer (pro-video brand) HDMI/DVI switcher. This worked fine. I require this DVI output to be in Extended Desktop mode where the 2nd display is different than the primary, and NOT clone mode.

Regardless of whether my display is set to single or Extended Desktop mode, I frequently get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), caused by file igdkmd32.sys.

So, this is unacceptable to say the least... so my next step was to check for the latest Intel provided drivers for this chipset.

Intel's site provided drivers dated version 06/18/2008 and version 7.14.10.1504, according to the same INF file (not the date on Intel's site).

These set of drivers appear to work 100% fine, but the problem I have here is that this version does not give me an Extended Desktop mode for dual monitors. It only has clone mode. I can't figure out how to get the Extended Desktop option back. My only guess is that this is because the driver now starts recognizing the DVI device as an HDTV instead of a monitor... but that shouldn't matter, right?

Can anyone tell me why the newer driver drops the Extended Desktop mode?

Help! This is a must for my use!

0 Kudos
0 Replies