Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

6250 blocking UDP on new Win8.1 install

GStev4
Beginner

Hi,

Have a DELL laptop - and fitted this card a year or two back - worked perfectly with Win 7 Pro.

Just rebuilt laptop to use Win 8.1, and now the wifi seems to be blocking some incoming UDP traffic.

Turned off firewall to test = no difference.

ALL latest drivers installed in the last 2 days.

Turn OFF wifi and plug in an ethernet cable and my UDP packets get through - so its not my firewall etc.

Run the same app on a Win7 laptop (on 2G) - and the packets get through so it not my router (unless its no longer getting through on 5G) - but I see no reason why this would have changed....

The biggest change is to install windows 8.1 on this laptop :-O.

Hope someone can advise what setting may be wrong under this new setup please ???.

NB The traffic is from a completely separate box - on the same subnet (192.168.1.xxx), broadcasting to 255.255.255.255 port 56001.

With the ethernet cable plugged in - I can see incoming packet in my app AND in NetMon 3.4 (microsoft). With the wifi connected - neither sees them :-O.

Also they are short packets - a single line of text each (mainly 20-30 charcters or so).

Thanks

Graham

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GStev4
Beginner

Quick update.

When I re-enabled wifi, the packets started arriving again....

Until Windows screensaver kicked in, then they were lost again - until I stopped and restarted Wifi :-O, when once again they started to arrive.

Looks like its related to screensaver then :-O - but I cannot see any screen saver/power management settings which could cause this :-O.

NB The laptop is NOT going to sleep - just turning off the display. No specific screen saver selected - just the default then I guess.

Graham

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Graham, I would recommend checking with the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer if this wireless adapter model was validated for your computer because the fact that this is a WiFi + WiMAX adapter could introduce some undesired effects.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel Wireless Adapter?

GStev4
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for at least responding - but this 'answer' is worse than useless. It sends me on a paper chase through the DELL site where I cannot find if this card is 'warranted' to work or not :-((.

Basically - I bought a laptop - actually from Dell but that is irrelevant.I then bought a perfectly good WIFI adapter, and installed it into the Dell - as the fitted adapter did not support 5G. Its been working for many years now - quite happily. Its designed to a BUS STANDARD - so should be installable in any PC matching that standard.

I really don't see the point of your email - it does nothing at all to answer the question - just 'slippy-shoulders' the issue :-((.

Not impressed in the least with this response :-((.

Maybe I should STOP using equipment based on Intel products if you cannot (or will not) support them then.....

It was a simple enough question in the first place - and I did NOT need to be lectured about regulatory compliance etc.

Graham

0 Kudos