10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 1:18 PM by AlexT_Intel

[HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel

starkshaw

Hi all,

I am a starter on this field, yesterday when I tended to run setup.sh (I tried to built a Yocton by myself), loads of problems occurred, and today it magically disappeared. But when I followed Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image - Malinov Family Web Presence I founded as the article is out of date that I cannot follow "Other Changes" under "Building Linux Standard Base (LSB) Image" as I didn't find such files. After that I tried to run

bitbake linux-yocto-clanton -c menuconfig

it returned these and exit with error:

Pseudo is not present but is required, building this first before the main build

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu-14.04" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

Loading cache: 100% |###########################################| ETA:  00:00:00

Loaded 1616 entries from dependency cache.

Build Configuration:

BB_VERSION        = "1.18.0"

BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"

NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-14.04"

TARGET_SYS        = "i586-poky-linux"

MACHINE           = "clanton"

DISTRO            = "clanton-full"

DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.4.2"

TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 i586"

TARGET_FPU        = ""

meta             

meta-yocto       

meta-yocto-bsp    = "clanton:d734ab491a30078d43dee5440c03acce2d251425"

meta-intel        = "clanton:048def7bae8e3e1a11c91f5071f99bdcf8e6dd16"

meta-oe           = "clanton:13ae5105ee30410136beeae66ec41ee4a8a2e2b0"

meta-clanton-distro

meta-clanton-bsp  = "<unknown>:<unknown>"

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies

NOTE: Preparing runqueue

NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks

NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks

ERROR: Function failed: sysroot_stage_all (see /media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/quilt-native/0.60-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.9715 for further information)

ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/quilt-native/0.60-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.9715

Log data follows:

| DEBUG: Executing python function sstate_task_prefunc

| DEBUG: Python function sstate_task_prefunc finished

| DEBUG: Executing python function do_populate_sysroot

| DEBUG: Executing shell function sysroot_stage_all

| tar: --same-order option cannot be used with -c

| Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.

| tar: This does not look like a tar archive

| tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

| DEBUG: Python function do_populate_sysroot finished

| ERROR: Function failed: sysroot_stage_all (see /media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/yocto_build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/quilt-native/0.60-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.9715 for further information)

ERROR: Task 10 (/media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/quilt/quilt-native_0.60.bb, do_populate_sysroot) failed with exit code '1'

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 23 tasks of which 22 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

No currently running tasks (7 of 63)

Summary: 1 task failed:

/media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.0/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/quilt/quilt-native_0.60.bb, do_populate_sysroot

Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

What shall I do in this case?

• 1. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi starkshaw,

Have you already tried patching before building? Take a look at this post https://communities.intel.com/message/262478. Another thing you can try is to run the build on Ubuntu 12.04 which is validated. Additionally make sure to have enough space to do the build.

Regards,
            JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
            starkshaw

Hi JPMontero,

Thanks for your reply, but I had one question and it. I checked the link you mentioned it said "BSP" I assuming BSP is the abbreviation of Board Support Package, but I'm building the Yocto for SD Card, shall I do that as well? And I have approx. 120 GB on the partition of my building project.

Regards,

starkshaw

• 3. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
              JPMontero_Intel

Yes, it should work for the image you are trying to build, and the space you have is more than enough for the build, let me know if it works for you as soon as you test it. What is the version of the BSP you are building?

Regards,
                JPMontero_Intel

• 4. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
                starkshaw

Hey JPMontero,

I'm still trying to figure out that, I downloaded meta-clanton_v1.0.0. Does that means the BSP Version?

Regards,

Stark

• 5. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
                  JPMontero_Intel

Sorry for the delay in my response. Yes, that version is 1.0.0. I’d suggest you to download the BSP Patches and Build Instructions, you can get it from here: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22226 . In there you’ll see the link for the Quark BSP 1.0.1, the links to the guides on how to build the image. Also in there are the steps to patch the image or you can use the shell script I’ve sent you before to run them automatically. Please try this and let me know if you have more questions on this procedure.

Regards,
                    JPMontero_Intel

• 6. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
                    starkshaw

Hey JPMontero,

Thank you for your reply, I think I will try it on the weekend.

Best Regards,

Stark

• 7. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
                      starkshaw

This is what I got if I run the patch manually (even the error occurred before I patched).

Pseudo is not present but is required, building this first before the main build

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu-14.04" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

WARNING: Unable to get checksum for core-image-minimal-initramfs SRC_URI entry modules.conf: file could not be found

Parsing recipes: 100% |#########################################| Time: 00:00:15

Parsing of 1253 .bb files complete (0 cached, 1253 parsed). 1616 targets, 118 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.

Build Configuration:

BB_VERSION        = "1.18.0"

BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"

NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-14.04"

TARGET_SYS        = "i586-poky-linux-uclibc"

MACHINE           = "clanton"

DISTRO            = "clanton-tiny"

DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.4.2"

TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 i586"

TARGET_FPU        = ""

meta             

meta-yocto       

meta-yocto-bsp    = "clanton:93d59cad5258fbe64f94740bdbd9be8c6e5cdb15"

meta-intel        = "clanton:048def7bae8e3e1a11c91f5071f99bdcf8e6dd16"

meta-oe           = "clanton:13ae5105ee30410136beeae66ec41ee4a8a2e2b0"

meta-clanton-distro

meta-clanton-bsp  = "<unknown>:<unknown>"

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies

NOTE: Preparing runqueue

NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks

NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks

ERROR: Function failed: sysroot_stage_all (see /media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/yocto_build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/quilt-native/0.60-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.7536 for further information)

ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/yocto_build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/quilt-native/0.60-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.7536

Log data follows:

| DEBUG: Executing python function sstate_task_prefunc

| DEBUG: Python function sstate_task_prefunc finished

| DEBUG: Executing python function do_populate_sysroot

| DEBUG: Executing shell function sysroot_stage_all

| tar: --same-order option cannot be used with -c

| Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.

| tar: This does not look like a tar archive

| tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

| DEBUG: Python function do_populate_sysroot finished

| ERROR: Function failed: sysroot_stage_all (see /media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/yocto_build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/quilt-native/0.60-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.7536 for further information)

ERROR: Task 10 (/media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/quilt/quilt-native_0.60.bb, do_populate_sysroot) failed with exit code '1'

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 23 tasks of which 19 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Waiting for 0 running tasks to finish:

Summary: 1 task failed:

/media/stark/Media/arduino_linux/meta-clanton_v1.0.1/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/quilt/quilt-native_0.60.bb, do_populate_sysroot

Summary: There were 2 WARNING messages shown.

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

• 8. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
                        AlexT_Intel

You're using an unsupported version of the host OS (Ubuntu 14.04) for this Yocto version (1.4) and it has newer versions of base tools (such as tar, giving you that problem right now), so things will fail.

I have tried fix things for 14.04 to work, but I ditched the idea after I fixed two and got the third one, which was a bit too enigmatic for mee to have an interest in fixing that.

After that I went with supported OpenSUSE 12.3 (which still requires one fix) and tried the recommended Ubuntu 12.04 (which works fine right away). So the real fix I'd recommend to you is changing your build host to Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and you shouldn't have any building problems for a vanilla image.

• 9. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
                          starkshaw

Hi Alex,

Probably that is the problem. But to be frank I think Intel shall fix it as the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is the newest long term support version after all... I will try run it on 12.04. Cheers.

Regards

Stark

• 10. Re: [HELP] Error message prompted when tend to customize the Yocto kernel
                            AlexT_Intel

Yeah, it of course would make sense to support the newest LTS, however that would mean bumping Yocto version to something like 1.6 at least, which is a significant change (kernel version, package recipes), which would require porting and then extensive testing - so if they go for that (I have no idea what the plans are) I can see why it may take some time

Plus 12.04 is still a supported one (till ~2017), so not that bad either