cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel P3700 compatibility with Z97 motherboard

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Does the P3700 SSD actually populate values into Intel SMBus slave device 53h?

I have this SMBus issue on one Z97 motherboard (ASUS Maximus VII Gene) but not on another Z97 motherboard (ASROCK Z97M Pro 4).

As far as I know, 53h is supposed to contain DIMM SPD data for memory slot B2, when any RAM is populated in slot B1/B2 while the P3700 SSD is populated in any of the PCI Express slots on the Maximus VII Gene motherboard will result in a memory error (no boot).

I am trying to figure out who should I be looking for a fix to this issue, Intel or Asus?

9 REPLIES 9

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Do you know if the BIOS from the ASUS motherboard support UEFI 2.3.1?

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I do. Running the UEFI Shell on my ASUS motherboard, I type in "ver" from the EFI Shell prompt, this is the result:

EFI Specification: 2.31

EFI Vendor: American Megatrends

EFI Revision: 4.655

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I managed to get some answers to the questions you asked above:

1. Yes, PCIe SSD's are technically 'memory' devices.
  2. The change to correct this will most likely need to come from ASUS. We do not currently have a Maximus VII Gene board, but we will test a similar configuration to see if we can recreate this issue.

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

1. Why does it have to be 53h (and not somewhere else)? I am pretty sure all the recent PCHs (Cougar Point, Panther Point, Lynx Point) use 50h-53h on the SMBus for DIMM SPD data. I know that Patsburg (and maybe Wellsburg) is the exception to this (where DIMM SPD data is at a different location).