12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 10:40 AM by Arnold007

Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...

Arnold007

Hi!

I read carefully this wiki entry and tried about everything that's on it : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant .

I succeeded in bringing Wi-Fi on / off at will on my Galileo. This worked fine!

Now, I have a new problem : when I run some Linux commands (e.g. ps, ls etc.) I get a "Command not found" message like this :

root@clanton:/# pwd

/

root@clanton:/# ls

-sh: ls: command not found

root@clanton:/# cd /home/root

root@clanton:~# pwd

/home/root

root@clanton:~# ls

-sh: ls: command not found

root@clanton:~#

These commands used to work fine before. I must have done something wrong...

Any idea of what the problem (and the solution) could be?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
          kevin_intel

Hello Arnold007,

Thank you for posting all this information here.

My best recommendation is for you to post this on Linux Communities so they can provide the script you need.

Here you will find important information:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034398.htm

This is the Linux support page:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

Kevin M

• 2. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
            Intel_Jesus

Hi Arnold007,

What firmware version do you have on your Galileo?

Run "cat /sys/firmware/board_data/flash_version"

What SD image are you using?

Regards,

Intel_Jesus

• 3. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
              Arnold007

Hi!

Thanks for the reply and sorry for that late answer.

Firmware : 0x01000200

SD card image : SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2

Thanks for providing the command for getting the firmware version; that was the object of my next question.

Actually, I have now a new problem with the firmware update; I always get the following message when I try to update the firmware on any of my 3 Galileo Gen1's  :

Arduino: 1.5.3-Intel.1.0.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Intel® Galileo"

1. java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.util.HashMap.putAll(HashMap.java:498)

at processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.burnBootloader(BasicUploader.java:278)

at processing.app.Editor$48.run(Editor.java:2568)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

Any idea of what the problem could be? I reinstalled all COM drivers; same problem.

Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                Intel_Peter

Hello Arnold007,

I think I have some advices that could help you,

1. You need to update your Galileo's firmware, since you're using the latest Yocto image and an out of date firmware, you could be having this issues because of this.

2. Download and decompress your image again, so you have a clean install of Yocto.

3. Follow this guide to activate Wi-Fi on your Galileo, it's been proved so it shouldn't give you issues.

If you want to, you can check the folder /bin, in there you should find all commands available on Yocto, only if you want to see if the commands you mentioned before are missing right now.

Regards,

Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                  CMata_Intel

Hi Arnold007

Were you able to use your Centrino shield with the Terminal Console functioning?

Regards;

CMata

• 6. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                    Arnold007

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

Wi-Fi works on all of my 3 Galileo, with ConnectAnyThing hotspot and over Ethernet. That part works fine!

I didn't change anything, I just rebooted a couple of times.

But still, I can't update the firmware on any of the 3 Galileo. I get instantly that error all the time :

Arduino: 1.5.3-Intel.1.0.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Intel® Galileo"

1. java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.util.HashMap.putAll(HashMap.java:498)

at processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.burnBootloader(BasicUploader.java:278)

at processing.app.Editor$48.run(Editor.java:2568)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

I am sure it has nothing to do with the Galileo, the error flashes one tenth of a second after I click the button in the Galileo IDE, no confirmation asked, nothing, just the error message; it has no time to access anything on the Galileo. The problem has to be in the IDE.

What do you think?

• 7. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                      Intel_Peter

Hello Arnold 007,

Do you have any spaces in the path or filename of the Intel-Arduino IDE, spaces should be avoided as well as long names.

Are you using a 3.0 USB Port? Which OS are you using?

Why don't you try re-downloading the Arduino IDE? Please tell us what happens.

Regards,

Pedro.

• 8. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                        Arnold007

Hi Pedro!

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bits).

I tried with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and got the same error.

I did re-download Arduino IDE twice and got the same error.

I tried on a different PC and got the same error.

As mentioned in the previous post I get instantly a java.lang.NullPointerExceptio when I try to update the firmware.

For the presence of special characters in the directory/file names  I checked few hundreds directory/file names visually (and found none) but rapidly figured out that there must be 10 - 20K directory/file names and I gave up.

Same problem with the length of the paths. There are hundreds directories...

This is just unfeasible!

Can you be more specific?

What's the maximum length allowed for a path?

What are the paths used for updating the firmware?

What are the files used for updating the firmware?

Regards,

Arnold

• 9. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                          Intel_Peter

Hello Arnold007,

I'm not sure if this is what's happening to you but I was able to replicate the error, or at least I got the same error code.

What I did as you can see in the picture bellow is: I clicked in Tools > Burn Bootloader.

burnbootloader.png

And this is the output I received.

burnbootloadererror.PNG

If this is what's happening to you, the right place to update your Galileo's firmware is in Help > Galileo Firmware Update.

GFU.png

Could you please attach a screenshot of the Arduino IDE when you get the error?

Regards,

Peter

• 10. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                            Arnold007

Hi Peter!

Ah!!!!

Now I understand.

I think you have put your finger on the problem! You made my day!

I stupidly confused "burning the bootloader" and "updating the firmware" somehow.

Unfortunately, I can't try it before this Thursday. The odds are @ 98% in favor of this problem/...solution. I am impatient to  try it!

Actually, I feel it's a stupid question, but I can resist :what is the difference between "burning the bootloader" and "updating the firmware"?

Arnold

• 11. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                              Intel_Peter

Hello Arnold007,

From Wikipedia:

Boot loader:

"A boot loader is a computer program that loads an operating system or some other system software for the computer after completion of the power-on self-tests; it is the loader for the operating system itself, which has its own loader for loading ordinary user programs and libraries."

Firmware:

"In electronic systems and computing, firmware is the combination of persistent memory and program code and data stored in it."

So, to sum up, when you burn the boot loader, your updating or changing the program that loads the OS on the board, when you update your firmware, it updates or changes the software within the board, that tell it how to behave when it receives a sketch, instruction among others.

Regards,

Peter.

• 12. Re: Intel Centrino N-6235 on Galileo Gen 1...
                                Arnold007

Thanks for your reply Peter!

And Merry Christmas to you all!

1 of 1 people found this helpful