4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 7:34 AM by DiegoV_Intel

I am basically lost with i2c... trying to connect grove shield to arduino.

Matt_Joyce

I have an arduino and I have it's 4/5 tied to the 4/5 on the grove shield attached to an intel edison dev board.

I cannot for the life of me get the two boards to communicate successfully.

I run i2c scanners on the arduino and it sees nothing.

I run code on the edison to read i2c data from where I know the arduino to be.... it reads nothing.

I am baffled.

Has anyone gotten i2c to work between and edison and an arduino?  Does anyone have documentation on i2c with edison that isn't the terrible documentation that intel wrote?

• 1. Re: I am basically lost with i2c... trying to connect grove shield to arduino.
          Matt_Joyce

one set of sample code

edison:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import mraa

x = mraa.I2c(0)

x.frequency(100)

x.address(0x04)

dongs = "rambos"

x.write(dongs)

# this method takes a char* as an input where sizeof(m) defines the read size

x.address(0x04)

m = "      "

print (x.read(m))

print (m)

x.address(0x04)

x.write(dongs)

# this method simply takes a size_t arg and returns an std::string, however

# it's less efficient

x.address(0x04)

print (x.read(6))

arduino:

/***************************************************************************

* File Name: serial_MAX31865.h

* Processor/Platform: Arduino Uno R3 (tested)

* Development Environment: Arduino 1.0.5

* Designed for use with with Playing With Fusion MAX31865 Resistance

* Temperature Device (RTD) breakout board: SEN-30202 (PT100 or PT1000)

*   ---> http://playingwithfusion.com/productview.php?pdid=25

*   ---> http://playingwithfusion.com/productview.php?pdid=26

* Copyright © 2014 Playing With Fusion, Inc.

* SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT: This code is released under the MIT License.

* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a

* copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),

* to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation

* the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,

* and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the

* Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in

* all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

* IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,

* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE

* AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER

* LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING

* FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER

* DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

* **************************************************************************

* REVISION HISTORY:

* Author            Date        Comments

* J. Steinlage            2014Feb17    Original version

* J. Steinlage                  2014Aug07       Reduced SPI clock to 1MHz - fixed occasional missing bit

*                                               Fixed temp calc to give only unsigned resistance values

*                                               Removed unused #defines for chip config (they're hard coded)

* Playing With Fusion, Inc. invests time and resources developing open-source

* code. Please support Playing With Fusion and continued open-source

* development by buying products from Playing With Fusion!

* **************************************************************************

* ADDITIONAL NOTES:

* This file configures then runs a program on an Arduino Uno to read a 2-ch

* MAX31865 RTD-to-digital converter breakout board and print results to

* a serial port. Communication is via SPI built-in library.

*    - Configure Arduino Uno

*    - Configure and read resistances and statuses from MAX31865 IC

*      - Write config registers (MAX31865 starts up in a low-power state)

*      - RTD resistance register

*      - High and low status thresholds

*      - Fault statuses

*    - Write formatted information to serial port

*  Circuit:

*    Arduino Uno   Arduino Mega  -->  SEN-30201

*    CS0: pin  9   CS0: pin  9   -->  CS, CH0

*    CS1: pin 10   CS1: pin 10   -->  CS, CH1

*    MOSI: pin 11  MOSI: pin 51  -->  SDI (must not be changed for hardware SPI)

*    MISO: pin 12  MISO: pin 50  -->  SDO (must not be changed for hardware SPI)

*    SCK:  pin 13  SCK:  pin 52  -->  SCLK (must not be changed for hardware SPI)

*    GND           GND           -->  GND

*    5V            5V            -->  Vin (supply with same voltage as Arduino I/O, 5V)

***************************************************************************/

#include <Wire.h>

// the sensor communicates using SPI, so include the hardware SPI library:

#include <SPI.h>

// include Playing With Fusion MAX31865 libraries

#include <PlayingWithFusion_MAX31865.h>              // core library

#include <PlayingWithFusion_MAX31865_STRUCT.h>       // struct library

// CS pin used for the connection with the sensor

// other connections are controlled by the SPI library)

const int CS0_PIN = 9;

const int CS1_PIN = 10;

PWFusion_MAX31865_RTD rtd_ch0(CS0_PIN);

PWFusion_MAX31865_RTD rtd_ch1(CS1_PIN);

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200);

// setup for the the SPI library:

SPI.begin();                            // begin SPI

SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV16);   // SPI speed to SPI_CLOCK_DIV16 (1MHz)

SPI.setDataMode(SPI_MODE3);             // MAX31865 works in MODE1 or MODE3

// initalize the chip select pin

pinMode(CS0_PIN, OUTPUT);

pinMode(CS1_PIN, OUTPUT);

rtd_ch0.MAX31865_config();

rtd_ch1.MAX31865_config();

// join i2c bus

Wire.begin(4);                // join i2c bus with address #4

Wire.onReceive(receiveEvent); // register event

// give the sensor time to set up

delay(100);

}

byte x = 0;

void loop()

{

delay(1500);                                   // 1500ms delay... can be much faster

static struct var_max31865 RTD_CH0;

static struct var_max31865 RTD_CH1;

double tmp;

RTD_CH0.RTD_type = 1;                         // un-comment for PT100 RTD

// RTD_CH0.RTD_type = 2;                        // un-comment for PT1000 RTD

RTD_CH1.RTD_type = 1;                         // un-comment for PT100 RTD

// RTD_CH0.RTD_type = 2;                        // un-comment for PT1000 RTD

struct var_max31865 *rtd_ptr;

rtd_ptr = &RTD_CH0;

rtd_ch0.MAX31865_full_read(rtd_ptr);          // Update MAX31855 readings

rtd_ptr = &RTD_CH1;

rtd_ch1.MAX31865_full_read(rtd_ptr);          // Update MAX31855 readings

// ******************** Print RTD 0 Information ********************

Serial.println("RTD Sensor 0:");              // Print RTD0 header

if(0 == RTD_CH0.status)                       // no fault, print info to serial port

{

if(1 == RTD_CH0.RTD_type)                   // handle values for PT100

{

// calculate RTD resistance

tmp = (double)RTD_CH0.rtd_res_raw * 400 / 32768;

Serial.print("Rrtd = ");                  // print RTD resistance heading

Serial.print(tmp);                        // print RTD resistance

}

else if(2 == RTD_CH0.RTD_type)              // handle values for PT1000

{

tmp = (double)RTD_CH0.rtd_res_raw * 4000 / 32768;

}

Serial.println(" ohm");

// calculate RTD temperature (simple calc, +/- 2 deg C from -100C to 100C)

// more accurate curve can be used outside that range

tmp = ((double)RTD_CH0.rtd_res_raw / 32) - 256;

Serial.print("Trtd = ");                    // print RTD temperature heading

Serial.print(tmp);                          // print RTD resistance

Serial.println(" deg C");                   // print RTD temperature heading

}  // end of no-fault handling

else

{

Serial.print("RTD Fault, register: ");

Serial.print(RTD_CH0.status);

if(0x80 & RTD_CH0.status)

{

Serial.println("RTD High Threshold Met");  // RTD high threshold fault

}

else if(0x40 & RTD_CH0.status)

{

Serial.println("RTD Low Threshold Met");   // RTD low threshold fault

}

else if(0x20 & RTD_CH0.status)

{

Serial.println("REFin- > 0.85 x Vbias");   // REFin- > 0.85 x Vbias

}

else if(0x10 & RTD_CH0.status)

{

Serial.println("FORCE- open");             // REFin- < 0.85 x Vbias, FORCE- open

}

else if(0x08 & RTD_CH0.status)

{

Serial.println("FORCE- open");             // RTDin- < 0.85 x Vbias, FORCE- open

}

else if(0x04 & RTD_CH0.status)

{

Serial.println("Over/Under voltage fault");  // overvoltage/undervoltage fault

}

else

{

Serial.println("Unknown fault, check connection"); // print RTD temperature heading

}

}  // end of fault handling

// ******************** Print RTD 1 Information ********************

Serial.println("RTD Sensor 1:");              // Print RTD0 header

if(0 == RTD_CH1.status)                       // no fault, print info to serial port

{

if(1 == RTD_CH1.RTD_type)                   // handle values for PT100

{

tmp = (double)RTD_CH1.rtd_res_raw * 400 / 32768;

}

else if(2 == RTD_CH1.RTD_type)              // handle values for PT1000

{

tmp = (double)RTD_CH1.rtd_res_raw * 4000 / 32768;

}

Serial.println(" ohm");

// calculate RTD temperature (simple calc, +/- 2 deg C from -100C to 100C)

// more accurate curve can be used outside that range

tmp = ((double)RTD_CH1.rtd_res_raw / 32) - 256;

Serial.print("Trtd = ");                    // print RTD temperature heading

Serial.print(tmp);           // print RTD resistance

int btmp = int(tmp);

Wire.beginTransmission(0); // transmit to device #4

Wire.write(btmp);        // sends five bytes

Wire.endTransmission();

Serial.println(" deg C");                   // print RTD temperature heading

}  // end of no-fault handling

else

{

Serial.print("RTD Fault, register: ");

Serial.print(RTD_CH1.status);

if(0x80 & RTD_CH1.status)

{

Serial.println("RTD High Threshold Met");  // RTD high threshold fault

}

else if(0x40 & RTD_CH1.status)

{

Serial.println("RTD Low Threshold Met");   // RTD low threshold fault

}

else if(0x20 & RTD_CH1.status)

{

Serial.println("REFin- > 0.85 x Vbias");   // REFin- > 0.85 x Vbias

}

else if(0x10 & RTD_CH1.status)

{

Serial.println("FORCE- open");             // REFin- < 0.85 x Vbias, FORCE- open

}

else if(0x08 & RTD_CH1.status)

{

Serial.println("FORCE- open");             // RTDin- < 0.85 x Vbias, FORCE- open

}

else if(0x04 & RTD_CH1.status)

{

Serial.println("Over/Under voltage fault");  // overvoltage/undervoltage fault

}

else

{

Serial.println("Unknown fault, check connection"); // print RTD temperature heading

}

}  // end of fault handling

x++;

}

void receiveEvent(int howMany)

{

while(1 < Wire.available()) // loop through all but the last

{

char c = Wire.read(); // receive byte as a character

Serial.print(c);         // print the character

}

int x = Wire.read();    // receive byte as an integer

Serial.println(x);         // print the integer

}

sorry for the barrels of extra code there.

• 2. Re: I am basically lost with i2c... trying to connect grove shield to arduino.
            DiegoV_Intel

Hi Matt_Joyce,

I'd suggest you to check the following threads where users are discussing about using the I2C on Edison, they might be helpful for you:

I2C controllers

Re: Edison Arduino i2c

Re: How to get I2C commo using Edison Arduino breakout board?

Regarding the documentation, currently we are working on making more documentation available.

Regards,

Diego.

• 3. Re: I am basically lost with i2c... trying to connect grove shield to arduino.
              Matt_Joyce

I decided to take another crack at i2c... seems many are having trouble with i2c on edison.

Anyways I am seeing a kernel crash trying to just read.  And I guess I see others with similar styles of kernel crashes... but none of the reasons I've seen given on the forum match up to mine, at least as far as I see it.

more info here:  edison-i2c wtf

would love some assistance.

• 4. Re: I am basically lost with i2c... trying to connect grove shield to arduino.
                DiegoV_Intel

Hi Matt_Joyce,

Take a look to this sketch. It is an I2C scanner. I uploaded it in Edison and I was able to detect my Arduino UNO using I2C.

The code I uploaded into the Arduino UNO was the slave_receiver example, under File>Examples>Wire in the Arduino IDE for Arduino boards.

Regards,

Diego.