6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 11:35 AM by jhmurry_Intel

Changing hostname for DHCP

jhmurry_Intel

I have a Galileo2 running the IOT image connected to Ethernet. I have successfully changed the host name (and it shows up on my router) when I modified the /etc/hostname file.

I have a Galileo 1 running the SDcard image (not IOT) and is connected via wifi and uses DHCP. When I log with putty and type hostname I see that it has the right host name, but when I log into my router it has the hostname blank.

Is there something I should be doing differently or adding in Linux or specific to Galileo for wireless that could make the hostname show up in the router?

• 1. Re: Changing hostname for DHCP
          CMata_Intel

Hi jhmurry_Intel

I'll try to replicate your problem and let you know as soon as posible.

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Changing hostname for DHCP
            mhahn

jhmurry_Intel wrote:

I have a Galileo2 running the IOT image connected to Ethernet. I have successfully changed the host name (and it shows up on my router) when I modified the /etc/hostname file.

I have a Galileo 1 running the SDcard image (not IOT) and is connected via wifi and uses DHCP. When I log with putty and type hostname I see that it has the right host name, but when I log into my router it has the hostname blank.

Is there something I should be doing differently or adding in Linux or specific to Galileo for wireless that could make the hostname show up in the router?

better to use "hostnamectl" (if it's on your image).

• 3. Re: Changing hostname for DHCP
              jhmurry_Intel

Unfortunately on the galileo 1 SD image, it doesn't appear to have that command.

# hostnamectl set-hostname mynewhostname

returns:

hostnamectl: command not found

• 4. Re: Changing hostname for DHCP
                CMata_Intel

Hi jhmurry_Intel;

Did you try using the ethernet cable with the Gen1 and see if the name appear in blank? Also I want that you take a look at this link and check if the Wi-Fi shield that you are using it have been tested before with Galileo Gen1. Please let me know about your resullts.

Regards;

CMata

• 5. Re: Changing hostname for DHCP
                  CMata_Intel

Hi jhmurry_Intel;

Have you been able to see your hostname in the router?

Regards;

CMata

• 6. Re: Changing hostname for DHCP
                    jhmurry_Intel

When I try Ethernet on Galileo Gen 1 board the hostname does not appear on my router either.

The wifi I was using is the Intel 6235 card plugged into the slot on the back side of the board (not a Wi-Fi shield).I didn't see it in the shield list.

Is it possible there is simply a build difference in the Linux images between IOT and normal "larger" Linux (not IOT) image (I have the version 0.7.5 - one of the earlier ones on that board)? When I put the updated 1.0.4 Linux image on the Galileo 2 the host name shows up. I haven't yet had a chance to try putting the update Linux image on Gal 1.