Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20680 Discussions

3-Display Issues with HD Graphics 4000 Laptop (HDMI & VGA Config)

AVill19
Beginner

I am in need of a 3-Display configuration, with a specific laptop as the built-in display. It is a Fujitsu laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 and an LVDS connector. I have two monitors connected to the laptop. The laptop is Display 1 (built-in display), Left monitor is Display 2 (DVI-to-HDMI connection), Right monitor is Display 3 (VGA-to-VGA connection). However, it seems I can only extend to only a 2nd monitor. The Intel Graphics Control Panel, under Multiple Displays, only allows two displays (primary & second) under the Extended Desktop Operating Mode, and yet I am able to see all three monitor names on their drop down menus. The Screen Resolution Control Panel, shows a monitor icon for all three displays in the configuration I desire, but Display 3 is greyed out.

What am I doing wrong? What steps to the process am I missing? What software/hardware do I need to complete this configuration?

Please help ASAP. Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Avz0379,

Could you please attach the DX Ddiag report for your system? I would like to check some system information such as graphics driver version, operating system etc. (Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Save All Information).

Have you tried to use straight connection on the left monitor?

Can you send me a picture from the multiple Displays menu under Intel Graphics Control Panel?

0 Kudos
AVill19
Beginner

Hi Sylvia_intel,

I have the DxDiag file in notepad or pdf. However, I don't know how to upload these certain files. This is only letting me insert an image, video, or link.

Any other way I can get you that DxDiag file?

The left monitor has a vga & dvi connector, the right monitor has a vga connector, the laptop has one hdmi-out, one vga, three usb connectors.

However, USBs are useless for what I am trying to accomplish.

Currently I am not at my office to send you a picture of Intel's multiple display menu, but I should have one for you by Friday.

Thank you for helping me figure this out. 😃

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

In order to attach a file you would need to click on the advanced editor. Please check the picture below.

0 Kudos
AVill19
Beginner

Sylvia_intel,

here is my dxdiag.txt along with the images you requested. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
AVill19
Beginner

Anything yet Sylvia_intel?

Let me know if you need anything else to figure this out. Thanks

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I'm going to try to connect a 3rd monitor on my laptop using VGA. I'll reply back with the results.

I noticed that you are not running the latest graphics drivers available in our site. Could you please download the zip version of the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24346 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24346http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24329/a08/win64_153329.zip&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=24329 and follow the following steps exactly to install it. Please report back with your results.

1. Login with administrator privileges

2. Open Control Panel

3. Open Device Manager

4. Click on "Display adapters"

5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"

6. Click on the "Driver" tab

7. Click on "Update Driver" button

8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

10. Click on "Have Disk" button

11. Click "Browse"

12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Beta Intel HD Graphics driver to

13.Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS</span>

15.Click "OK"

16. Click "Next" driver should now be installing.

17. If successful, click "Close"

Reboot.

0 Kudos
AVill19
Beginner

Ok, here are my results:

I successfully updated the graphics driver & rebooted.

1. I now have the new Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

2. Prior, when I connected the Left (HDMI) monitor, it would overtake the right (VGA) monitor and turn it off. Now, after connecting the Left, it does not turn on at all

3. On the new Intel HD Graphics Control Panel (IGCP), under Multiple Displays, while L monitor connected, it shows only displays 1 (laptop) and 2 (R monitor)

4. on the IGCP, it does however indicate all three monitors on the drop-down list (please see attached image "new picture"

5. under Control Panel's Screen Resolution, it detects the L monitor (here its 2), but is unable to display

6. I detected it, extended desktop to this display, and pressed Apply; but it was unable to (please see attached image "new picture (1)"

Any ideas? 😃

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I am having the same behavior AVZ0379. Let me check this with the engineers.

0 Kudos
AVill19
Beginner

Hi,

Here is a summary update of what I have done so far:

1. I purchased a USB 3.0 to VGA Adapter (web discussions told me this could work), from Fresco Logic, for the L monitor (formerly DVI to HDMI)

2. I installed the hardware drivers, connected the adapter to the USB 3 port and monitor; things didn't work; C (center) & R monitors flashed, L monitor nothing

3. I updated all manufacturer drivers: windows, fujitsu bios, adapter driver updates, monitor programs

4. I reinstalled & reconnected everything, piece by piece, exactly like the manual and troubleshooter, and still didn't get the L monitor to work.

These are the detailed results while everything was connected and installed:

1. (Prior) after installing the driver software, when connecting the adapter (only) to USB-3 port, the new hardware jingle would toggle constantly at random

4. I opened up Device Manager to see driver when I connected the adapter (only), and you could see it toggle on and off

5. Sometimes it would say "Unknown Device.." and nothing on Device Manager; other times it would stay on; that's when I connected the L monitor via VGA (see attached image)

2. Only good news, I finally was able to see and configure the display setup for all monitors on the Control Panel/Screen Resolution (see attached image)

3. However, no image could be seen on L monitor; in fact it acted disconnected, with the screen saying "Check Signal Cable (DVI)", sometimes power button blinking

6. Additionally, within seconds the monitors would begin to flicker and the laptop began to overheat; I actually got blue screen once

One contingency I concluded is to return this faulty adapter for a better one, most likely DVI to USB-3. However, if your engineers have come up with any better solutions, I am all ears. Please

0 Kudos
AVill19
Beginner

In my endless determined research for a solution, I found the following information:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm Graphics Drivers — Configuration 3-Displays FAQ

http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/wireless-display/templates/selfservice/intelwidi/# portal/1026/article/700100000002511/System-requirements-for-Intel-WiDi Support Knowledge Base

The first link tells me what 3 independent display configurations are supported by the HD Graphics 4000. In the comprehensive table provided, I am either able to configure the sequence of row 1 or row 3. Most likely 3, which then brings me to the second link - the system requirements for Intel WiDi. I have installed Intel WiDi so far. I believe I can use this feature with TVs as well as monitors.

I want to be able to keep the L monitor I have currently because it rotates for reading document purposes and I need excellent performance with extension display. My available items:

a. 1 rotating L monitor with VGA and DVI ports

b. several Ethernet cables

c. 1 wireless router with 4 Ethernet ports

The fastest connection, in utilizing the Intel WiDi, I believe, would be Ethernet from router connected to a device that adapts to a VGA/DVI cable from the monitor. Essentially I would need one of the two following items:

a. wireless adapter

b. universal docking station

Based on your experience and knowledge, what do you believe would be my best approach at tackling this project? The adapter or station?

Happy Thanksgiving 😃

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I would recommend you to try the wireless adapter in order to connect the third monitor using Intel WiDi or any other technology.

I was trying to connect my laptop to another couple of monitors using a docking station and I couldn't get the third monitor to work. It was recognized on the Graphics control panel, but I didn't get the 3rd display to show.

I was using VGA output and the Display port, along with the build in screen and it did not work.

These are the supported configurations

We were able to get triple display using 2 display ports and 1 HDMI. Please check the picture below.

Regards,

0 Kudos