6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 5:15 PM by Forrest

Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board - Bricked!

Forrest

I have my second Edison with the mini breakout board now, the has stopped working.

This one worked fine with both USB's plugged, I was able to burn the newest image and connect to Wifi OK.

But as soon as I connected and battery and power supply .. no lights and only the com port that does not respond in putty.

Seems the Edison module is the problem as I also have a Edison with the Arduino breakout board that works fine and when I take the Edison from there and plug it into the mini breakout board, use only USB connections for power, it also works fine. The Edison module I got with the Mini Breakout Board does not work in the Arduino Breakout board either.

I note others also having problems with the mini breakout board ... so is this common? Is there some "trick" on how to use a battery or external power supply? Is something faulty on the module or board pertaining to the battery recharging? (I tried to use a 7.2v battery with a 12v 2 amp power supply)

I would like to know a bit more about what's going on before I go to Fry's again to return this ... comments? suggestions?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board - Bricked!
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi Forrest,

Since you also have an Arduino board, try doing this guide https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23192 . Regarding the power supply it seems you are using correct values to power your board, you can also power it through USB if it’s running as a device. Take a look at section 2.3 of this document https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23252 to see the power requirements and make sure you are not overlooking anything.

Regards

Sergio

• 2. Re: Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board - Bricked!
            Forrest

Sergio,

Thanks for the reply, but this will not work as the Edison module will not respond at all when I plug it into Arduino breakout board. This is same method I used to flash current image into Edison that came with Arduino breakout board  and for Edison that came with mini breakout board using USB for power. But now for second time Edison I powered through mini breakout board with separate power supply and battery will not respond on com port and does not respond as storage device. Guess I'll again return to Fry's but this time get one with Arduino breakout board as I can get it to work ok.

• 3. Re: Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board - Bricked!
              Forrest

In thinking about this and reviewing documentation, I suggest that the hardware document include the recommended battery voltage. I suspect the a 7.2v battery may have done some damage ... as it seems I found some obscure reference to a lower voltage for this battery .... will a 7.2 volt battery damage the Edison Module?

• 4. Re: Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board - Bricked!
                Intel_Alvarado

Hi Forrest,

It is specified in the Edison module hardware guide https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23158 section 5 that the voltage range for the Edison is 3.15V min to 4.5V max so 7.2V will probably damage your board. It also states:

Edison may be embedded in a number of devices either battery powered, or AC wall powered. Therefore, Edison was designed not to support a specific power delivery method or specific battery chemistry and capacity range. This portion of the design is left to the end user.

However we will pass your feedback of having a recommended power supply to the appropriate team.

Regards

Sergio

• 5. Re: Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board - Bricked!
                  toadaze

Hopefully, you are not connecting a 7.2V battery to J2.  That's the one at the left end of the board above the reset switch, and that's where you would normally connect a rechargeable 3.7V LiPo battery. Now J21 at the right end of the board can take either a battery or power supply in the range of 7-15V.  Also be careful of polarity.  The pins are not marked + or - on either one.  It would be best to use a meter to verify the ground pin.

• 6. Re: Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board - Bricked!
                    Forrest

Sergio,

It is not self evident that the battery voltage should be the Edison module voltage when the supply voltage is 7 to 15. I understand now that the battery goes direct to the module and is not regulated.. You should spec the battery voltage when you provide a battery input! Especially if it goes direct to Edison Module without regulation. You spec ma, charge time (not sure what it is really, seems different for mini vs Arduino?); but not voltage range. Very strange?!

toadaze.

Thanks for this ... apparently I did fry 2 modules connecting 7.2V battery. Would be nice if power inputs were marked for ground, especially as square reference pad is positive in one case and ground in another. I was very careful about polarity, but assumed battery voltage could be higher due to wide range in supply voltage .... now I know better and can try a mini breakout board again!

Regards,

Forrest