5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 12:40 PM by Jozef Tanzer

My Intel Edison project

Jozef Tanzer

I have recently bought an Intel Edison with the Arduino compatible breakout board. I am planning to use this for an universal translator project. Something like this: http://makezine.com/projects/universal-translator/. But what I am hoping to do is make it into a wearable, controlled by my phone, which would be connected to a microphone and a speaker. The translation would be using the Google speech recognition API and Microsoft translate API.

The problem is that this would involve making the whole breakout board smaller. I have seen many projects online which used the Edison board and arduino and the whole thing was small.

So what I ask for in this thread is a bit of advice about the project:

1. Should this run on Linux or Arduino? Which one is better for this project?
      2. How can I make the whole thing as small as possible?

P.S.: AS far as my skills are concerned, I think I am quite qualified to do this project. I am an advanced programmer, so the software side of this project should be a piece of cake and my hardware abilities are, I would say, about upper intermediate, since I have lots of experience in hardware. But I have never worked with Edison or Galileo, so I will need some help in this way.

Any help would be appriciated.

• 1. Re: My Intel Edison project
          mhahn

1. Should this run on Linux or Arduino? Which one is better for this project?

At the end Arduino sketches run like any other processes on the Linux target. So the question is where you feel more comfortable with. It's like the question "is language xyz better than abc". Hard to answer in a generic way because "better" has so many facettes (e.g. faster for yourself to implement because you are more used to a specific environment, more performant on the target, easier to maintain, ...)

1. How can I make the whole thing as small as possible?

"as small as possible" in terms of what?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My Intel Edison project
            Jozef Tanzer

1. I wanted to know in which of those is it simpler to communicate with the Internet

2. I would like to fit it inside a headset.  The question was whether the arduino board could be made smaller(yes,  only in case you recommend doing this in arduino)

• 3. Re: My Intel Edison project
              MPayne

1.  I'd use the sysfs interfaces in Yocto - that's what Arduino calls as well.  Pick your favorite programming language - some are already convenience wrapped.

2.  You're probably not going to get there with the Arduino board.  Try the mini breakout.  Once you have a working prototype, perhaps slim it down to a custom PCB.

• 4. Re: My Intel Edison project
                deium

Spanky, I have to say I agree with mhahn and MPayne.  in that it depends on your fav programming language.  I'll throw my two cents in as well.

Just so that you know you have choices, I use the provided Yocto image and the smaller Intel mini break-out board.  For programming, I like pascal, so most of my programming is via Kylix 3 which for me runs nicely in terms of execution speed, small footprints, and has a good set of base classes which I use for Internet communications.  GCC is included onboard, so you have choices.  I prefer the mini-breakout board to the Arduino for it's smaller size, and Sparkfun is looking at even smaller without going to the level of making your own board.  Your project sounds interesting .. best wishes.

• 5. Re: My Intel Edison project
                  Jozef Tanzer

Thank you guys so much.  As you might have realised, I am quite a greenhorn in this field and your answers were really helpful. 

So,  for a little recap,  I should go with the sysf for Yocto,  I will probably choose C as a language. As for the hardware, I should use the mini breakout board. 

Thanks again for your help.