5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 3:57 PM by CMata_Intel

Bricked Board

Mangojuice

How do I determine if my board is bricked? Here is my situation. I am trying to telnet into it so I can start working with Motion, and I was unable to connect over Ethernet. I then decided to just run blink to see if I could at least get something going, however the LED does not blink. When I upload the sketch from the Arduino IDE (Galileo version) it shows "upload complete" but I do not seem to be getting anything from the board. Are there any other tests or some way I can determine if it is the board or just operator error?

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Bricked Board
          mhahn

you should see when connecting via serial. If you don't have anything showing up when powering up I'd call it bricked.

• 2. Re: Bricked Board
            JPMontero_Intel

Hi Mangojuice,

Just in case, these are the cables mhahn mentioned https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23043. With this cables you should be able to see the booting process when you power up your board. Let us know if it works. Also could you attach the log of the IDE when you are trying to upload the Blink sketch?

Regards,
              JPMontero_Intel

• 3. Re: Bricked Board
              Mangojuice

Sorry for the delayed response and thanks for your time. The Galileo is a my friends house. We are working on a project together. JPMontero, here is the log when uploading a sketch. Hopefully this will provide you with some information.

Binary sketch size: 50,642 bytes (of a 262,144 byte maximum) - 19% used

cygwin warning:

MS-DOS style path detected: C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh

Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/Users/Peter/Desktop/arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh

CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.

Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

#!/bin/sh

echo "starting download script"

echo "Args to shell:" $*

starting download script

# ARG 1: Path to lsz executable.

# ARG 2: Elf File to download

Args to shell: C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/tools/x86/bin C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\build3918810508524319611.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf COM4

# ARG 3: COM port to use.

#path contains \ need to change all to /

path_to_exe=$1

fixed_path=${path_to_exe//\\/\/}

#COM ports are not always setup to be addressed via COM for redirect.

COM PORT 4

#/dev/ttySx are present. Howwever, COMy -> /dev/ttySx where x = y - 1

Converted COM Port COM4 to tty port /dev/ttyS3

com_port_arg=$3

Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode

com_port_id=${com_port_arg/COM/}

echo "COM PORT" $com_port_id

tty_port_id=/dev/ttyS$((com_port_id-1))

echo "Converted COM Port" $com_port_arg "to tty port" $tty_port_id

echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch download" > $tty_port_id

C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 24: /dev/ttyS3: No such device or address

Deleting existing sketch on target

#Move the existing sketch on target.

echo "Deleting existing sketch on target"

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 28: /dev/ttyS3: No such device or address

# Execute the target download command

#Download the file.

host_file_name=$2

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape --binary --overwrite $host_file_name <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 34: /dev/ttyS3: No such device or address

#mv the downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf

Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target

target_download_name="${host_file_name##*/}"

echo "Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target"

#$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "cp sketch /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv $target_download_name /sketch/sketch.elf; chmod +x /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 40: /dev/ttyS3: No such device or address

• 4. Re: Bricked Board
                JPMontero_Intel

Thanks for the log. On the last line of the log you can see “/dev/ttyS3: No such device or address” so the IDE is not recognizing your board. Is your Galileo being recognized by the computer? I’d suggest you to get a serial console cable to see if you are able to see the booting process, to know if the board is booting up properly. In case you are using a Galileo Gen 1, you can make your own by following this guide http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog/intelgalileo-introduction.

Regards,
                  JPMontero_Intel

• 5. Re: Bricked Board
                  CMata_Intel

Hi Mangojuice

Were you able to interact with your Galileo Board using the IDE?

Regards;

CMata