Maybe I am missing something, like what capabilities the server mode USB has and if there is anything I need to do enable things.
Today I tried a few different things, like I updated to Alex'T s devtool image. I booted, I have an 3.3v FTDI breakout cable connected up so I have PuTTY connection to it. I tried plugging in the device mentioned and same thing. So I thought maybe I will try to connect on a hub, same difference. So then I plugged in a USB to serial cable that is FTDI based again no new tty device created. The only message on my debug terminal shows:
[ 419.870163] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using ohci_hcd
dmesg | tail
Is showing almost nothing. The last time it is showing is fro time 0.000000
I did the opkg install kernel...ftdi... from Alex'ts stuff and it said the latest version was already installed.
We will investigate on your issue and contact you as soon as we have more information.
Why don’t you try changing the udev rules? I found a link that you might find useful http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-usbhdd . Look at the examples part of the document to get an idea of the different devices you can modify with udev. Let me know if this was helpful.
I am not quite sure yet what to try here with udev. I am not an expert with udev rules, but I do use them. For example when I use XBees with FTDI xbee adapters, I will use a rule to create a device: /dev/ttyXBEE which I reference in the code. This takes care of issues where ttyUSBx the actual device may change numbers depending on how the devices were enumerated...
I first had to install it on the Galileo . When I plug the device into the USB port, All I see from dmesg is:
[ 1084.750197] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using ohci_hcd
and it appears to create an object in the /dev of 1-1
If I look at it with udevadm I see:
root@clanton:~# udevadm info --query=property --name=1-1
Now if I look at another one of these devices on my Edison board, Dmesg shows:
[ 1559.764970] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using dwc3-host
[ 1559.789084] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=16d0, idProduct=06a7
[ 1559.789114] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=220
[ 1559.789135] usb 1-1: Product: USB2AX
[ 1559.789154] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Xevelabs
[ 1559.789172] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 74031303437351D02210
[ 1559.790054] usb 1-1: ep 0x82 - rounding interval to 1024 microframes, ep desc says 2040 microframes
[ 1559.797605] cdc_acm 1-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
When I look at the udevadm stuff I get:
root@Edison:~# udevadm info --query=property --name ttyACM0
DEVLINKS=/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Xevelabs_USB2AX_74031303437351D02210-if00 /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-platform-dwc3-host.2-usb-0:1:1.0 /dev/ttyUSB2AX
Again unfortunately I don't know enough on why the Galileo is not trying to assign the device to use the cdc_acm driver...
again I don't know what i am doing, but for the fun of it I tried: modprobe on the Galileo and it did:
root@clanton:~# modprobe cdc-acm
[ 4201.452920] cdc_acm 1-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 4201.476560] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[ 4201.482361] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
and when I tried the udevadm It showed:
root@clanton:~# udevadm info --query=property --name=ttyACM0
Which looks closer. If I now unplug it and replug it in, it again shows ttyACM0... So I think that is one hint... Not sure yet what modprobe does...
Today I finally tried running something on the Galileo G2 with the USB2AX in it. So I tried out my Edison PhantomX Arm program that uses the Arbotix Commander and it works
If I play around more with it, I may figure out if I am compiling for Edison or Galileo and change where debug outputs go... Right now on both I output to Serial2, which is great, but may want to make that conditional as it eats the debug terminal. Normally to clear I run a simple arduino program that does Serial2.begin(...) followed by Serial2.end(), which frees up the debug terminal...
Next up get the PhantomX Hexapod with both boards/