Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Windows 8 + Lenovo Docking Station = External Monitors Not Working

GSt_P
Beginner

This issue is dogging me.

I upgraded my Lenovo X240 to Windows 8 and everything works fine, at work I have an ASUS VH238 that I connect to via the DisplayPort. The Asus doesn't have any DisplayPorts, so I use a Startech MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

No problems.

Now, at home I have an UltraDock. When I was using Windows 7, everything was wonderful. But now, disaster. I have two of the same monitors (Asus VH238) and I connect my UltraDock with DisplayPort to HDMI cables. I can see the BIOS prompts and the initial Windows logo. But as soon as the Intel Driver gets loaded, everything goes blank. The lights on the monitors turn from Blue to Orange and the laptop doesn't see any external monitors either.

If I change the graphics drivers to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" I can get one monitor working. I don't think the basic MS driver does multi-monitor anyway.

I've swapped it out with another UltraDock, no change.

OK, and here's this: At work, my boss has a similar X240 and an Ultradock. EXCEPT he has two Lenovo monitors using DisplayPort cables (no adapters). AND IT WORKS FINE. His works, mine works.

So, I'm ready to give and go back to Win7, but I'd rather not I like Win8 (No really! I Do!).

Any thoughts?

FYI: I followed the instructions from Lenovo here, no change:

http://support.lenovo.com/ae/en/documents/ht101460 External monitors attached to ThinkPad Pro Dock, ThinkPad Ultra dock, or ThinkPad OneLink Pro Dock do not function as ex…

\\Greg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Greg, Could you please attach the DX Diag report from your system? (Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Save All Information).

I would like to check information on the current drives installed on your laptop.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GSt_P
Beginner
0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sending me the report.

I was able to see that your system is using BIOS v 2.1. According to Lenovo's web page there are 2 newer BIOS that you may want to try.

Please try to update the BIOS to version 2.2 first before going to the latest version. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x240 Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: ThinkPad X240 - Lenovo Support (US)

Regarding the Graphics driver, I would recommend trying the driver provided by Lenovo. Remember that we offer generic drivers and sometimes they do not work as expected on OEM system. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x240/downloads/DS035972 Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: ThinkPad X240 - Lenovo Support (US)

Thanks,

0 Kudos
GSt_P
Beginner

DxDiag reports that incorrectly, I'm running 2.27 on my BIOS, the latest.

And I had used the Lenovo drivers in the past to no avail, but I checked their website and they released a new driver yesterday (11/11/14):

Driver Date: 9/30/2014

Driver Version: 10.18.10.3958

I installed it and it fixed my problem, both monitors are working now!

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I'm glad to know it is working now.

0 Kudos