Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Incorrect mode detection by HD4600 for LG Ultrawide display

YGrig
Beginner

I have an HP Envy 700 desktop computer using integrated graphics in Core i7-4770 through an onboard DVI port. The video driver version is 10.18.10.3960 (latest), OS is Windows 8,1 Pro.

The problem appears when connected to the DVI input of my 21:9 ultrawide LG 29MA73V display. I am using the supplied dual-link DVI cable, and Windows does not offer me to choose the native 2560x1080 resolution, only 1920x1080. Furthermore, when I try to make a custom video mode for this resolution, Intel driver says "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" and declines to accept it.

When I connect to the HDMI input of the same display using DVI-HDMI cable, resolution 2560x1080 appears in the list of supported resolution and everything works okay. Both times I am using the same DVI output on the mainboard of my PC.

I attach two reports by Intel driver - one for DVI connection, when 2560x1080 is not present, and one for HDMI connection, when resolution 2560x1080 is present and works perfectly. I noticed that EDIDs from these two different ports of the display are different, HDMI one is bigger, but both of them seem to contain information on the supported 2560x1080 mode.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for all this information.

I noticed you mentioned you are using a Dual DVI link cable. Our graphics controllers support Single DVI link so can you please try a Single DVI cable?

This can do the trick.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
YGrig
Beginner

Single link DVI does not offer modes above 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, so trying such cable is pointless, it will not allow me to use 2560x1080 @ 60 Hz. LG intentionally puts a dual link DVI cable in the package so that their displays worked fine.

Anyway, if HD4600 does not support dual link DVI, this explains why this problem occurs. I wish this information was written in BIG RED LETTERS on every Intel Inside sticker so everyone knew that. 🙂

0 Kudos
JTerr5
Novice

LOL! Wow. See, this just shows you how LITTLE these employees at Intel know. The hardware is built to use dual link cables, yet this employee thinks the single link will be better? LOL!

Intel: Get your shit together. Let us set WHATEVER refresh rates we want. It's YOUR SOFTWARE that's limiting us, NOT the hardware that WE ARE PAYING FOR. It's because of this error that I will NEVER purchase an Intel product ever again and I will continue to warn all of your customers on this website to stay clear in the future. How's that for business?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello oscarkool,

Thank you very much for your feedback; however, I disagree with you regarding the Dual link DVI. Our controllers support Single Link DVI only.

Kevin M

0 Kudos