3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 11:12 AM by xbolshe

Galileo - How to get both Full Linux and a USB WiFi adapter working?

Aleksandrus

Hello, community!

First of all, I'm sorry for being too noob, but even following the several tutorials I couldn't even get the full linux running.

My goal is to get THIS D-Link DWA-125 USB WiFi adapter working on Galileo so I can work with Raw Sockets on WiFi. I just need that.

Before trying to install a driver, I just needed to get a Full Linux working, and I'm already stuck in this simple step.

As told, I followed several tutorials, such as THIS ONE to first get Linux running (I tested Intel's Yocto Linux and some Debian images). The files extracted were as follows:

Screenshot from 2014-11-05 19:01:08.png

So, I just extracted this to the root directory of my 32Gb SD Card, which is already formatted to FAT32.

I insert the SD Card, power on the Galileo Board, upload a sketch as describe in THIS link so I can connect to Galileo via Telnet using Putty.

Using the shell, I list the comands available in /bin/, I cat /proc/version, and the result is always the same. So, I believe something went wrong and that I didn't succeed installing the bigger Linux image.

People in this community told me that I have to stop the boot sequence, as describe HERE, but I have no UART cable. I just have an Ethernet and an Android USB cable to connect my Laptop to Galileo. If I need to stop the boot sequence, how can I manage to do that with my current resources?

My laptop is running Linux Elementary OS.

I want to install Linux and then a Driver, but people were complaining that they could not install the DLink Adapter on Yocto Linux, so maybe a good strategy would be to work with Debian.

1- Can someone please tell me what can I do in a simple, straightfoward, very well described Step by Step how can I boot a Full Linux (that is likely to work with DLink) on Galileo?

If I can manage to do that, I can try to install the driver (I don't want to abuse of your good will), but if you want to, I'll be way more than happy if you can tell me:

2- how to install this adapter's driver.

Thank you for your attention,

Ariel

• 1. Re: Galileo - How to get both Full Linux and a USB WiFi adapter working?
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi Ariel,

Regarding the serial console cable you make your own by following this guide http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog/intelgalileo-introduction. The UART is the only one that display the booting process. I guess you can change this but I’m not sure on the process, I think this is work this way because you use ssh or telnet and these processes start right after boot, I guess you can change this in order to see the booting process but I’m not sure how to do it. If you are going to use Debian I’d suggest you to take a look at this page on how to set up a wireless adapter https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi , there is also a section for USB wireless adapters. I hope this helps you.

Regards,
            JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: Galileo - How to get both Full Linux and a USB WiFi adapter working?
            Aleksandrus

I don't know the booting process of Galileo. If I would do this to a laptop, I'd have to enter BIOS and tell it to boot from the SD Card first, or I could do this via linux, changing /etc/default/grub

I will try this.

Also, I'd like to point out that I tried to use dd command to install the debian .img in my SD card, and it created a Partition with a File System. The result was, again, unsuccessful, but I wonder if this is the right path, insted of just plain copy to the root direcotry of the SD Card

• 3. Re: Galileo - How to get both Full Linux and a USB WiFi adapter working?
              xbolshe

Copying files to the root of SD Card is a common way. SD card booting problem depends on a SW version installed on a board and a configuration of SD card files.

As the first step I recommend you to execute the following commands to check board version, firmware version and Linux version installed on a board:

Command list

root@clanton:~# cat < /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/board_name

Galileo

root@clanton:~# cat < /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/board_version

FAB-D

root@clanton:~# cat < /sys/firmware/board_data/flash_version

0x01000400

root@clanton:~# uname -a

Linux clanton 3.8.7-yocto-standard #1 Fri Oct 10 16:20:19 PDT 2014 i586 GNU/Linux

root@clanton:~#