Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Display issues on laptop

AMill18
Beginner

So I've been having a couple issues regarding the graphics card on my laptop. Lately, there have been dots covering the screen of my laptop, and also occasional "crashes" where the screen will flicker black for a few moments, and then return with the message "Display driver Intel HD Graphics driver for Windows 8 (R) has stopped responding and has successfully recovered." This issue also seems to be preventing me from launching certain games on my laptop, though there are a few that will still work.

My specs are as follows:

Intel i7-4700MQ 2.40GHz

8 GB of ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus

1 TB 5400rpm hard drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Also, I have updated the driver on my Intel graphics card, but I have not been able to update my NVidia card.

Here is a screenshot below of the error message and the display

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: The dots don't seem to show up at all in the picture

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Acmiller4, I am sorry to hear that have had this kind of problems.

This type of error has been reported at Intel. Please check the following URL for additional information and several solutions.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009483.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009483.htm

I hope this information helpful for you

AMill18
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

I have made some progress by downloading an NVidia driver from my laptop manufacturer's website, rather than the generic driver as I had before. However, it would seem that the Intel driver would not install, and would display the message "The setup program failed to install one or more device drivers." Installing the NVidia driver seems to have cleared up the dots/display crashes, but now I cannot launch any games whatsoever. Each one seems to display some message about not being able to find a graphics driver.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Acmiller4, which graphics driver version are you trying to install?

Something that I do not understand is that the error is mentioning Windows 8, but you are using Windows 7. So I think this could be a registry error on your operating system. For this kind of issue I recommend you doing a system restore on your computer to the last working state.

On a system with switchable graphics it is necessary to install the Intel graphics drivers first and then Nvidia's.

0 Kudos
AMill18
Beginner

I'm trying to install Intel(R) Graphics Driver: 9.18.10.3257. This was the driver listed on my manufacturer's website. I have also tried installing the generic driver 15.31.17.64.3257 from Intel's website, but I still get a failed message either way.

At this point, I'm not able to do a system restore to the point before I was having issues, though I have tried it before with no results. Should I try re-installing Windows 7?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I think that a Windows 7 reinstallation will be necessary.

0 Kudos
AMill18
Beginner

Performed a complete reinstallation of Windows 7 and installed all the drivers. I seem to be back where I began with dots covering the display and various black flickers... Could this be an issue with the hardware rather than the software?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

It could be a hardware issue since you already tried different graphics driver versions.

Please try running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

0 Kudos
BVerh2
Novice

Hi,

Maybe have a look at the Intel HD control panel. When I switch the "Energy profile" using the "power cord" (not the battery !) to "maximum performance" I also have dots appearing all over.

Problem is fixed right away when I select "balanced" again.

Have a look at my post:

Bart

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Bart, as Allan mentioned on the other thread, this issue could be related to the graphics controller.

My recommendation will be to get in touch with system manufacturer.