2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 4:47 AM by BoraTuran

Dev board project to a real product

BoraTuran

Hi,

I am coming from software side and have no experience on  converting a dev board project to a real end-user product.

Say that I have developed the software on Edison, and the project requires  6 relays(3.3V and level-shifters?)  and antenna.

From this stage, I think I have to search external board designer/builder services companies? Can you or (Intel) suggest such companies, perhaps experienced on Edison chip? Is Edison chip ready for real products (legally)?

Thanks

Bora

• 1. Re: Dev board project to a real product
          MPayne

There are several paths you can take, but the basic use case is this:

1) Prototype your Edison + needed peripherals with the Arduino or Mini Breakout, get to your desired development quality

2) Finalize a PCB board or other form factor for your product based on your prototyping work, have it fabricated

3) Move the Edison module into your form factor, test

4) Move the Edison module back into your prototype, debug, fix

5) Repeat steps 3-4 until satisfied your project works

6) Make any necessary changes to the board / form factor (fix bugs, make improvements), send out to fabricate, test

7) Repeat step 5-6 until satisfied with your project's quality

How you perform these steps (who you go to, materials, etc) is typically driven by your budget and timeline.  If you're new to board design, try to find something off the shelf and learn first.

Edison has all the necessary FCC certifications to use it in a real product - though anything you add may change your applicability to laws.

• 2. Re: Dev board project to a real product
            BoraTuran

Thanks,

"2.Finalize a PCB board or other form factor for your product based on your prototyping work, have it fabricated"

would you suggest couple of maker-friendly producers for this?