Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

cpu and core temps

idata
Employee

Hi guys,

I just want to know wether my cpu temps are fine. But first here is a short summary of my components:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3P Mainboard

Intel Core2Quad Q9650 Processor @ default

Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler

After a stressing my CPU with Prime95 for about 30 Minutes, EVEREST 5.02 reports the following temperatures:

CPU --> 59 degrees

Core 0 --> 62 degrees

Core 1 --> 53 degrees

Core 2 --> 59 degrees

Core 3 --> 52 degrees

Are these values acceptable??

Thanks.

Regards

perny

4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

Your temps are fine. You still have loads of more room before the cPU starts throttling or starts to think about switching off!!!

Although more important than checking individual core, see what the temperature is in the BIOS for the CPU as a whole.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I was a little busy last time ;-)

@Cpt.Dogfruit:

I'm happy that my core temps are fine. But I still have one question:

1. Is the difference in temperature acceptable (It varies between 10 and 13 degrees)

My BIOS temperature under load varies between 58 and 60 degrees. This is exactly what EVEREST says under CPU temperature.

Thanks for your answers ;-)

Regards

perny

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

The problem with teh difference in temp is that you cannot trust taht reading. Intel do not provide AT ALL the information to ANYONE on how to read the temp of their cores. Add to this how small an area the PU is and even smaller the cores inside, it is nigh on impossible thats the four cores would have such a temperature difference. Thats why i said check the BIOS. Even that we cannot be 100% is accurate as it is not an Intel board and that can be a misreading too, but it's the best you can go for. If you really wanted to know if the BIOS temp is accurate you could test it on anotehr couple of boards trying to keep everything else the same.

The reason EVEREST gives you EXACTLY the same temperature as the BIOS is becasue it is READING it from the BIOS!!!

if you need anything else just ask

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have tested the bios cpu temperature on two different boards. And after running 30 minutes prime95 the bios temperature climbs up to 60 degrees and varies between 58 and 61 degrees. Is this okay?? The Noctua NH-U12P cooler is screwed with the mainboard and so is fixed firmly. Thermal paste (Noctua NH-1) is applied in a thin film. So I think I did everything right ;-) or not??

Regards

perny

0 Kudos