Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Core i7 4790k @ Noctua NH-D15 & GA-Z97X-G1 overvoltaging by motherboard, bad initial temperature

BryanFury
New Contributor I

Greetings,

I just wanted to know, I recently purchased this mobo and cpu. My initial run pumped up CPU temps somewhere to 91°C, could about 20 seconds of this temp cause some damage to CPU? Right after as I booted I noticed temperatures are quite high, 40-45°C at idle and noticed motherboard hit my cpu with 1,458 vcore. After update to latest bios [F6] it backed down to 1.248 vcore.

Could the CPU take some damage after these events?

Please advise,

kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Correction to post # 5: It also works with other motherboard brands.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Bryan, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

I would like to inform you that No, the CPU's internal protection mechanisms should prevent damage from short periods of high voltage and temperatures.

Regards,

BryanFury
New Contributor I

Thank You for Your kind answer Sylvia,

Hmm, anyway, I went through a little process and modified the vcore manually, but it drove system unstable, am changing motherboard for ASUS. Btw. if the thermal protection works, how come so many contract so called "haswell-death"? Even without OC or any other modifications?

And if I may, what's the optimal voltage for Haswell-Restart [4790k], and Turbo Boost is feature of CPU, or bios? Because my TB is kind of faulty. It runs all cores @ 4.4 GHz and is also juicing it up at 1,3 vcore after modifying bios into normal values.

Poor thingie runs really hot. 2600K golden sample runs at 1,25 vcore at burn [wPrime] at 50°C, which is 95W TDP CPU, being cooled down in same environemnt and case, by NH-D15 and Fractal Design XL R2, whereas 4790K runs at 1,15 vcore at burn [wPrime] at 70-75°C, which is 88W TDP CPU, being cooled down by same config, with NH-D14, which is slightly superrior.

Why is that so, please advise,

Kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Bryan, please check the picture below. Would you please make your settings match the circled items?

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Thank You kindly Sylvia,

I already resolved issue on ASUS Republic of Gamers forums. Problem was in an ASUS feature called "ASUS Core Enhancment". Turned it off, turned off CPU ratio core multiplier and it works like charm.

It's a pity I cannot run Intel XTU, because I don't have Intel motherboard. I think it only supports Intel mobos, or am I wrong? It's a very nice utility.

Thank You once more,

kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

You are totally correct Bryan; Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) was design to work on Intel motherboards only, not on OEM or other system brands devices.

I'm glad you were able to solve the issue.

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hmm, but You meant chipset, right? Because it works just fine on my ASUS motherboard.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Correction to post # 5: It also works with other motherboard brands.

BryanFury
New Contributor I

Thank You guys, everything works like charm. I just hope You guys at Intel will start producing iHS in the quality of Sandy-Bridge anytime soon. I wouldn't mind paying 20-50 more euro for soldered heatspreader. Don't really want to do some mambo-jumbo with my 4790K. Thank You!

0 Kudos