7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 7:39 AM by deium

I think we need 2 images

mikemoy

I think it would be a good idea to have 2 images.

One for people who are using the Edison with the Arduino platform like you currently have, and another for those of us who don't plan to use it with Arduino and never intend to.

The purpose is to rip out anything Arduino related into the build.

• 1. Re: I think we need 2 images
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi mikemoy,

That's sound interesting. I will pass it to the proper team so they can evaluate this idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: I think we need 2 images
            David_J_Hunt

AFAIK, the only thing in the BSP that's Arduino related is clloader.

So delete the contents of /opt/edison, and the related init.d script

That's it.

• 3. Re: I think we need 2 images
              mikemoy

David_J_Hunt wrote:

AFAIK, the only thing in the BSP that's Arduino related is clloader.

So delete the contents of /opt/edison, and the related init.d script

That's it.

thanks for the tip, but still they should not produce a image for a product that is going to assume we are connected to another board of some kind.

• 4. Re: I think we need 2 images
                mhahn

or just run "systemctl disable clloader" which will disable the clloader server for next boot but not delete it (the couple bytes remaining shouldn't harm)

• 5. Re: I think we need 2 images
                  deium

I agree with mikemoy, it would be nice to have an image for those that use the edison with breakout board and non arduino/sketch users.

• 6. Re: I think we need 2 images
                    mhahn

What exactly should be the difference between those? If this would help one might consider adding Arduino enabling into the configure-edison script if  directly putting "ifconfig disable clloader" into the console is viewed as too complex...

• 7. Re: I think we need 2 images
                      deium

Thanks mhahn for responding.  At the risk of sounding too new, this is my first experience into the hardware side.  I picked the edison and mini-breakout board for it's size, and powerful specs. I am impressed quite pleased with it's capabilities thus far, especially from a native on-board programmers view.  So lacking that duino experience doesn't tell me what those differences are.  There is tonnes of code that makes up everything, I've learned a lot from everyone on the forums, and what lacks in the code base - it's an Intel, I can create native language solutions.  The tools are here, I have the source code to go through, I could bitbake or completely install my own kernel if desired.  And everyone is here to help answer questions.

So no, it's not saying a disable command is too complex, or discovering the mini breakout has and extra i2c pair in mraa, or that it lacks an ADC that the Arduino board has, it is the not knowing, the learning curve, the time needed to pour through all that code to find all those differences.

A separate image might give mini-breakout the same jump start point as Arduino, but maybe discovery through all the code is half the fun.