1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 10:17 PM by barracuda

NUC USB problems

LSMS

We have three DCCP847DYE NUCs, running our own software package we get comms failures.  We updated the BIOS to the latest version and they became SYE NUCs (interesting?!), but we still get comms failures.  The same software operates faultlessly on many other variants of PCs both old and new but all Intel.  We believe that the fault must be unstable 5v power to the USB rail.  The USB to RS485 converter we are using is a Brainbox device which is normally bullet proof.  Can anyone suggest a solution?

• 1. Re: NUC USB problems
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the NUC community.

Have you tested updating NUC BIOS?

File name:

GKPPT10H.86A.0054.EB.EXE

Allan.

• 2. Re: NUC USB problems
            LSMS

We have updated the BIOS to Version GKPPT10H.86A.0053.2014.0917.1431  This dated 17/09/2014.  There is another one already??

We will try it - thanks.

Alan

• 3. Re: NUC USB problems
              allan_intel

Thanks for the feedback.

Allan.

• 4. Re: NUC USB problems
                LSMS

Allan

One NUC has died (before updating the BIOS) - nearly a year old poor thing!  Looks like a dead motherboard.

Of the other two we have updated the BIOS on one and left the other on 0053 - regrettably neither of them have had a comms failure; so I cannot compare them, which is both good and bad news!

Alan

• 5. Re: NUC USB problems
                  LSMS

Allan

It appears that it is not a BIOS issue, as the NUC with 0054 on it has now failed more often than the one with 0053.

The "dead" NUC has been repaired by the supplier and if the findings are useful I will let you know.

Alan

• 6. Re: NUC USB problems
                    allan_intel

Thanks for the update.

Allan.

• 7. Re: NUC USB problems
                      LSMS

Allan

Perhaps you could escalate this for me ... the problem seems clearly to be with the poor quality of the USB sockets on the NUCs; equalled only be the dreadful HDMI sockets.  The way we are using the NUCs is to fit them to a mounting board along with the USB devices and HDMI cables - there should be no play whatsoever, but any movement effects the HDMI - which of course is visible.  We are therefore assuming that there must be poor physical connections between the socket and the USB plugs.  In our world of electronics dry joints can have dire results.

• 8. Re: NUC USB problems
                        allan_intel

Try sending the NUC directly to Intel and request warranty for it.  You can use our Web Ticketing system to do that.

Online warranty:Service Request Email

Chat support: Contact Support

Allan.

• 9. Re: NUC USB problems
                          LSMS

Allan

We have established without any doubt at all that it is the NUCs that are at fault.  I will contact the Service guys but I fear that the response will not meet the problem.  The problem is quality of the USB sockets themselves - once we have checked those - or replaced them with high quality sockets; we may then see where we go to from there.  At the moment they are destined for the skip (dumpster).

Alan

• 10. Re: NUC USB problems
                            Josh01

Hi Alan,

Could I request you remove the plastic shroud around the NUC as I am sure this is were the problem lies as I have built a number of the DCCP847DYE and have not experienced the problem with loose connections on the USB ports.  I built 5 of these yesterday and I actualy turn them upside down on their sides whilst using the USB ports and HDMI in order to stick on the OEM stickers and never had a problem with disconnections.  As I said on the mail  I sent you I noticed the HDMI problem and loose USB's but that was down to them not being able to be plunged in properly due to the shroud around the NUC.

Richard

• 11. Re: NUC USB problems
                              LSMS

The wrap is 0.2mm thick.

No USB devices even touch it.

We have even tried the NUCs with the housing walls off.

NUCs are marketing toys, they are not designed for "industrial" use.

• 12. Re: NUC USB problems
                                Josh01

Hi

I am sorry you feel that way but I can only speak from my experience and as I said above I have not come across that problem only with the one you sent back and I can guarantee that the wrap prevented the key I use on all systems to flash the BIOS (NUCs / Shuttles) from properly fitting into the system.

Richard

• 13. Re: NUC USB problems
                                  LSMS

We have three "identical" NUCs.

They all exhibit the same problems.

The first did before it was wrapped.

We will attempt to get one back to Intel for their "evaluation"; we will leave it wrapped.

• 14. Re: NUC USB problems
                                    TechieTony

Hi LSMS,

I have been getting USB issues too. My issue was that my back USB port was becoming unstable. Sometime it will detect the usb device, other times it won't detect anything. A solution I found was caused by my WiFi card. Removing the WiFi card from the PCI-E slot on the motherboard solved my issue. Not sure if the WiFi card was taking to much power and cause the USB ports to become unstable. It seems like it only affected the rear USB ports. See if that works for you too.

1 2 Previous Next