3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 7:24 AM by allan_intel

Intel Matrix Storage Console Volume Capacity Expansion is not using 100% of available disk space

izzy_m

Hi there,

I am wondering if someone can help me solve a mystery around a Raid Volume. The problem that I have is with an existing system Volume0. I recently started managing this machine and discovered the system C: drive is running low on space.

- So I went to the Intel Matrix Storage Console and when I click the Array_000 it shows size 931.5GB, number of drives 2. Free space 300+ GB.

- When I click on Volume, it shows RAID 1 (mirroring), size 259GB.

After I discovered the free space, I right-clicked the Volume0 -> Modify Volume -> Volume0 -> Checked Volume Capacity Expansion and checked Utilize 100% of available array space -> Next and Finished. It took few hours and re-initialized the Volume. Now the RAID array shows that there is no free space and the Volume is using all the space.

So the problem is that the actual C: drive has not expanded. So what did I do wrong? How can I get the Disk Management in Windows to see all the available space. I tried re-scanning the disks and nothing. I have not rebooted as I am afraid to screw up something as this is the DC controller. I have a Windows Image backup taken prior.

Here is some more details:

- Machine is running Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 Standard FE  x64

- Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Controller

- Console version 8.7

- 2x500GB Western Digital Enterprise drives

- The Volume is a system volume with only C: partition

Thanks in advance