2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 1:40 PM by mhahn

How does the XDK Iot Edition work

Frederick Blais

While waiting for my Edison kit to arrive, I was wondering about which workflow I will use to develop software on it.

My typical use case is monitoring/controlling hardware remotely with a webpage/companion app. I usually do this kind of stuff with Python using the Flask microframework.

I glanced at the XDK website and I love the fact that it can generate native apps on Windows Store/Android/iOS.

My questions are :

1. For a companion app to connect to the Edison, you will probably have to be on the same WiFi network. Will there be other ways to make this work if I'm outside the house? (e.g. Bluetooth connection to the Edison, or WiFi hotspot generated by the Edison?)
      2. HTML and Javascript to develop the companion app is great, but are we limited to Node.js on the Edison side? Will it be possible for example to have the work done in Python or C on the Edison side using the XDK?

Thanks,

Fred

• 1. Re: How does the XDK Iot Edition work
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi speccy 88,

I’m not sure, but maybe you can find more accurate information from the XDT IoT Edison Edition forum https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk-iot-edition.

Regards,
            JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: How does the XDK Iot Edition work
            mhahn

My typical use case is monitoring/controlling hardware remotely with a webpage/companion app. I usually do this kind of stuff with Python using the Flask microframework.

You might like the "Wyliodrin" approach https://www.wyliodrin.com/ as well. It supports visual programming as well as Python.The devices don't need to be on the same network but just both need internet access to talk to the cloud.

I glanced at the XDK website and I love the fact that it can generate native apps on Windows Store/Android/iOS.

My questions are :

1. For a companion app to connect to the Edison, you will probably have to be on the same WiFi network. Will there be other ways to make this work if I'm outside the house? (e.g. Bluetooth connection to the Edison, or WiFi hotspot generated by the Edison?)
            2. HTML and Javascript to develop the companion app is great, but are we limited to Node.js on the Edison side? Will it be possible for example to have the work done in Python or C on the Edison side using the XDK?

XDK for IoT uses IP connections (I think currently only IPv4 is supported but I might be wrong). As long as you are able to access the target via IP you should be fine. That said using Edison as hotspot would be fine. And if you run IP via bluetooth this should work as well but the setup would be a bit more complex.

The XDK only supports Node.JS.

For Python see e.g. above. For C/C++ you can use the Eclipse IDE accessible via https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/getting-started