Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Problem with the Intel Graphics Adapter/Windows 8.1/64bit/i7/8GB

SPart3
Beginner

Hello,

I bought my new DELL pc 3 months ago and the last week started to crash.

In the beginning the Event Name was APPCRASH-chrome.exe and camera.exe.

I updated all the drivers - it was also weird the automated Windows update option wasn't working.

Everything seemed to function properly until the day before yesterday until this morning, I had another CRASH named:

Cause: The 'Unknown' driver (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys) appears to have caused a system to crash

Buck check code: 0x00000113

Driver: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys

Driver version:10.18.10.3977

Device: Unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also notice that I had this crash when my laptop was in condition of 'Sleep' after 10 minutes being inactive - it was not awaking and restart was needed!

I am thinking that it may be a problem with the Intel Graphics Adapter or in the software Windows 8.1. As I mentioned above ,it is weird to me that I run 'check for updates and after a while nothing is found and never installed!

More detail concerning the pc:

DELL Intel Core i7-4500U CPU_RAM8GB_Windows 8.1,64 bit

AMD Radeon HD 8850M, Intel HD Graphics Family.

Could anyone provide with more information - advise/help of how to fix it?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Savina, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

The latest graphics driver available for the HD4400 is version 3958 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24329&lang=eng&ProdId=3719 Intel® Download Center , but the drivers we provided are generic drivers. We recommend customer to use only the graphics drivers provided by the system manufacture, in your case will be DELL.

OEMs manufactures make many customizations to the drivers and if you install generic drivers, they could overwrite those customizations.

Try installing this driver version and let me know if it resolves your issue.

SPart3
Beginner

Sylvia,

Thank you for the response.

I face a dilemma since on my laptop the Intel Graphics version 10.18.10.3907 driver is installed, while from Dell's account suggests me to install an older version of the Intel Graphics, named Intel HD Graphics 4400 Driver (Video_Driver_5V482_WN_10.18.10.3316_A02). If I understood well, the one that you suggest is the latest version for HD4400 and it is generic.

Which one could I choose?

I still have several crashes during the day, and the error message is the same an 'Unknown driver has caused the system to crash' Driver version 10.18.10.3907.

I would appreciate any advice/solution.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Savina, the drivers we recommend customer to install are the ones provided by the system manufacture. The driver provided by DELL is from August 2014, so it is not that old.

Could you please attach the DX Ddiag report from your system so I can check the current information?

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

0 Kudos
SPart3
Beginner

Sylvia,

Thank you for your response-once again.

This morning, I updated the driver that I had with the Intel HD Graphics 4400 Driver (Video_Driver_5V482_WN_10.18.10.3316_A02).

So far, so good, but I have to wait the next hours to see how it will goes.

I also attach the DX Ddiag report.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

OK Savina, please let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos