- I assume you do have the Arduino breakout board?
- how did you connect? did you use both USB cables? - note: the serial you are interested in is not the serial the Arduino IDE is communicating to the board
- did you install the FTDI driver (on Windows)
Yes I have the Arduino Breakout board and have both USB cables plugged in. I tried setting up the board while only having one wire in at a time as was shown in the youtube step by step video by Intel also, but mainly I have been trying with both USB cables plugged into the board.
Yes I downloaded the FTDI driver on Windows the first time I setup the unit on Windows but not the subsequent times. Was this needed for my Mac attempt as well as I didn't do it for Mac?
no, I think you wouldn't need the FTDI driver for Mac.
starting with Windows:
- Which COM ports do you see on Windows?
- how did you try to connect? (PuTTy? Settings?)