1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 12:26 PM by EstebanC_Intel

need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro

gussuk

I keep getting errors on my raid 10 and it has to be verified over and over. do I have a drive failing and how can I tell which one?

• 1. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
          joe_intel

Hi gussuk, the only way to determine if there is a problem with a drive is to backup the data, reset the disks to non-RAID, and run the diagnostic tool provided by the hard drive manufacturer.

However, you can first try updating your system BIOS and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Software.

It can certainly help knowing the exact error verbatim and a copy of the System Report.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) — System reports

• 2. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
            gussuk

still having the same problems. doing a scheduled verify and repair every night and the found and repaired error count is getting bigger. following your instructions would destroy the woring array and the entire system would have to be rebuilt or restored. not a very good solution.

the 4 drives are about 2.5 years old now so i'm planning to replace them all. i assume i can do this by replacing each one, one at a time and letting the array rebuild it's self correct?

since there seems to be no log file created for the verify and repair process is there any other way of nailing down the source of the errors short of removing the drives and doing a mfg test on them?

it also states no bad blocks found.

intel 1.jpg

intel 2.jpg

System Report

System Information

OS name:  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

OS version:  6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601

System name:  STEVEFLOWERSZ87

System manufacturer:  Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System model:  Z87X-UD3H

Processor:  GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3 3.401  GHz

BIOS:  American Megatrends Inc., F9

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information

Kit installed:  13.0.3.1001

User interface version:  13.0.3.1001

Language:  English (United States)

RAID option ROM version:  12.6.0.1867

Driver version:  13.0.3.1001

ISDI version:  13.0.3.1001

Storage System Information

RAID Configuration

Array Name:  SATA_Array_0000

Size:  3,815,478 MB

Available space:  53 MB

Number of volumes:  1

Volume member:  99999

Number of array disks:  4

Array disk:  WD-WCC1S4100687

Array disk:  WD-WCC1S4580837

Array disk:  WD-WCC1S4497966

Array disk:  WD-WCC1S4204618

Disk data cache:  Enabled

Volume name:  99999

Type:  RAID 10

Size:  1,907,712 MB

System volume:  Yes 

Data stripe size:  64 KB

Write-back cache:  Off

Initialized:  Yes 

Parity errors:  46

Blocks with media errors:  0

Physical sector size:  4096 Bytes

Logical sector size:  512 Bytes

Hardware Information

Controller name:  Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Type:  SATA

Mode:  RAID

Number of SATA ports:  5

Number of volumes:  1

Volume:  99999

Number of spares:  0

Number of available disks:  0

Rebuild on Hot Plug:  Disabled

Manufacturer:  32902

Model number:  10274

Product revision:  4

Direct attached disk:  WD-WCC1S4100687

Direct attached disk:  WD-WCC1S4580837

Direct attached disk:  WD-WCC1S4497966

Direct attached disk:  WD-WCC1S4204618

Disk on Controller 0, Port 0

Type:  SATA disk

Location type:  Internal

Usage:  Array disk

Size:  932 GB

System disk:  No

Command queuing:  NCQ

Transfer rate: 6 Gb/s

Model:  WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0                   

Serial number:  WD-WCC1S4100687

SCSI device ID:  0

Firmware:  80.00A80

Disk on Controller 0, Port 1

Model:  WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0                   

Serial number:  WD-WCC1S4580837

SCSI device ID:  1

Firmware:  15.01H15

Disk on Controller 0, Port 2

Model:  WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0                   

Serial number:  WD-WCC1S4497966

SCSI device ID:  2

Disk on Controller 0, Port 3

Model:  WDC WD10EZEX-60ZF5A0                   

Serial number:  WD-WCC1S4204618

SCSI device ID:  3

ATAPI device on Controller 0, Port 5

Transfer rate: 1.5 Gb/s

Model:  TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L               

Serial number:  R84A6GDC10006R

Firmware:  SB04   

i hope this helps

thanks

steve

• 3. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, gussuk:

Thank you for your answer on this.

I would like to recommend you the following.

-First, update the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology to this version: Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

-Second run a check to see if you get these parity erros.

-If you do get them, please run this System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and provide me with the results as an attachment (the .txt file you get from the report).

Regarding the replacement of the drivers you have, the best way to go would be one by one and rebuild each time; I do recommend you to create a backup of your files, this type of RAID configuration is "tricky" or "difficult" so indeed a backup would be good to have.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact the Intel Communities back.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                gussuk

I'm no expert at this but an F6 floppy is used during a windows install so I assume doing this driver update will wipe out my system and force me to rebuild the entire operating system and all my programs.

Please correct me and provide some guidance if I’m wrong? I'm not really that desperate to do all of that. It seems the check and fix is keeping it under control.

It seems every attempt to get help returns the same solution of destroying my system and starting over. Not really the solution I want.

• 5. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, gussuk:

Thank you for your answer.

If you perform an update of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology software/driver, you shouldn't be worried about losing information.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 6. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                    gussuk

Ok

I think the below was wrong now I found at the bottom of the list under storage controllers Intel desktop/workstation server express chipset SATA RAID Controller.

This is probably the correct place to apply the new drivers?

Just to make sure I have the right idea here. I go to device manager and under disk drives I find Intel raid 1 volume SCSI disk device and right click on it and then select update driver software? Correct? Then I direct it to where the new drivers are.

I assume there will be a reboot required and then the new drivers will load?

I really don't want to crash this machine. I did a bios update one time and it reset it to non-raid and before I figured out what went wrong I lost everything so please make sure I have the right plan.

Thanks

Steve

• 7. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                      EstebanC_Intel

Hello, gussuk:

Thank you for your answer on this.

The download file "SetupRST.zip" has an executable file that would install the driver in the proper place for your device.

Here the driver download link: Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

Please do remember to create a backup for your files, RAID configurations are very tricky or difficult, this is a recommendation to be a 100% sure data is not going to be lost.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 8. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                        Speed61

Hi,

I have had a lot of experience with Intel Onboard RAID controllers & WD HDD's. The report denotes "WDC WD10EZEX" HDD's which are the standard WD Blue series HDD's which are not designed and nor do they work well within a RAID 10. ( http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771436.pdf ) I have seen a lot of posts on various forums regarding entry level HDD's in RAID setups & claims that they work !.

I have used ALL model HDD's within the WD range, Blue's, Black's, RE's & SE's. I have had some systems work well in the past using Blue & Black HDD's, but all have ended badly at some point, some right from the outset & others after 1 or even 2 years. What I have learned is that the WD RE & SE HDD's work flawlessly with Intel Onboard RAID controllers and have none of the issues that I have previously experienced using Blue & Black series HDD's. This based on actual real usage !. So with the Blue & Black series HDD's used in RAID 10, once a problem starts it tends not to go away.

So I would strongly recommend upgrading to either SE or RE Series HDD's.

Create an Image of your current configuration (using something like Acronis) on to an external HDD before you proceed any further would be my recommendation.

When you get the opportunity to install either SE or RE HDD's you can recover that Image onto to the new RAID 10 with the new HDD's. Once done you will be much happier.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James.

• 9. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                          gussuk

Hi

I really thank you for your input. these drives have been running 24/7 since 9-21-13 when I first built this machine. after a few unexpected shut downs I found it having to check/verify every time. So I set up the scheduled check/verify every night and some nights there are very few errors and other nights there are up to 50. Since I have been doing the schedule the problems have been minimal but it still concerns me I really want to find a solution. Estaban has pointed me to updated drivers. I plan on doing this over this coming weekend. I have been reluctant to do these kinds of upgrades for fear of crashing the array. I did a bios upgrade once and it wrecked everything, back to go.

One last thing. I use Casper for my back ups and they are clones of the array. They claim to be able to recover a Raid 10 but when i had the bios crash  I was not able to restore so it took me a week to recover. Casper is scheduled to do a back up every MWF and Sunday. the MWF stays connected to the machine the Sunday is stored in an anti-static bag in my safe and only comes out on Sunday evening for the back up.

Thanks

Steve

• 10. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                            Speed61

Hi Steve,

May I suggest that you "Disable" the SMART feature within the BIOS. As SMART retains a log of errors relative to a drive and I believe the IRST may look at these logs (Not 100% sure) but it may lead to more verify / repair activity than is needed.

The IRST will notify you of any impending HDD failure anyway.

Regards,

James

• 11. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                              gussuk

ok

I got the new files loaded but it seems the actual driver may not get upgraded with this procedure. See the system report attached and the image of the error results from last nights verify/repair.

Unless there is something else to be done to the drivers now it is on to replacing the drives?

The IRST monitoring software still doesn't make or keep a log of the verify/repair operations?

are the WD1002F9YZ a good choice?

Thanks

Steve

• 12. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                                Speed61

Hi Steve,

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get a report is via email located under the preferences tab in the IRST GUI.

The WD1002F9YZ should server you well, I have had no problems using either the Se or Re series WD HDD.

For me they have worked faultlessly.

Regards,

James.

• 13. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                                  gussuk

Hi

Did you look at the system report? Why did the driver update package only update some but not all of the software. It looks to me like the actual driver didn't get updated. The RST kit was 14.8.0.1042 but the driver still shows 13.0.3.1001? I was under the impression the RST kit was going to do everything?

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information

Kit installed:  14.8.0.1042

User interface version:  14.8.0.1042

Language: English (United States)

RAID option ROM version:  12.6.0.1867

Driver version:  13.0.3.1001

ISDI version:  14.8.0.1042

As for the e-mail notifications I have always just ignored it as it has no place to enter a password or auth information so unless it is being sent via an Intel mail server I'm not going to get it. My mail server is going to bounce it real fast.

Now I use Casper 8 for my back up and it sends the notifications via the fssdev.com mail server and it works good. I get a notice every other morning with the status of my MWF back up.

I've been reading the specs on the RE and SE. the RE has a lot longer MTBF than the SE but who's going to keep a machine for 500,000 hours? Amazon has a very good price for these drives but they only have 1 in stock so I holding out for a few days to see if more become available.

It is going to be a long job replacing the drives one at a time with a rebuild in between each.

Thanks

Steve

• 14. Re: need help raid 10 errors z87 gigabyte win 7 64 pro
                                    EstebanC_Intel

Hello, All:

Good catch about the behavior or the HDD's with an specific RAID.

Please do provide us with your outcome with the replaced HDD's for future references.

Regarding driver, Kit installed:  14.8.0.1042 should be good to go to use as reference on what is the driver installed in your system.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

1 2 Previous Next