Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel HD 3000 eDP 120Hz LFP

MFunk1
Beginner

Hi Intel Community,

I have recently been unable to tackle an issue that has been bugging me for quite some time with an HD 3000 + 120Hz LG LFP connected via eDP. (laptop)

In short: The Windows Display Mode List does not enumerate all the possible Hz that are supported by the screen.

The screen itself supports 60Hz, 96Hz and 120Hz, out of which only 60Hz shows up.

However restarting the Intel card via Device Manager enables 120Hz to appear, with 96Hz still missing.

The interesting thing is that Intel's Information Centre via the Intel Control Panel shows the proper "Built-In Display" information. I assume that this function might have nothing to do with the functionality of the driver.

The rest of the Intel Control Panel also only provides me with only the 60Hz and 120Hz option (after device manager restart).

Is it at all possible to adjust the driver to make it "recognize" the display properly? I am keen on trying out Intel tru3D / stereoscopic via the DirectX Quad Buffer API.

My first thought was that the EDID might not be read properly. I have matched the EDID as seen by the Intel driver as pretty much the same as given in these product specification documents (only difference being the ASCII name string): ftp://helpedia.com/pub/temp/datasheets/monitors/Panels/Panel_LG_Display_LP173WF2-TPB2_0_[DS].pdf ftp://helpedia.com/pub/temp/datasheets/monitors/Panels/Panel_LG_Display_LP173WF2-TPB2_0_[DS].pdf

My next thought was that maybe the bitbashing dword will somehow help me (taken from an older driver as the newer ones do not install with this dword).

I would be happy for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AComn
Beginner

~BUMP~

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The attached file shows the refresh rates that are supported by your monitor. I understand the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 supports up to 60Hz refresh rate.

I will need to confirm it with our engineering team. I will update this thread as soon as I get more details.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AComn
Beginner

Allan,

HD 3000 most definitely supports 120Hz through eDP (maybe not in the official specs?).

VonCrisp and myself both own HP ENVY 17t-2100 laptops with switchable graphics and 120Hz displays. The problem is that newer Intel graphics drivers do not allow 120Hz to function reliably for some reason. Most of the time the option is not available in the graphics control panel unless you disable and re-enable the graphics controller through device manager. Restarting the machine will again make the 120Hz option disappear from the control panel.

This was not a problem with older drivers like 8.15.10.2993.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the clarification. I will update this thread as soon as I get anything from engineering.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AComn
Beginner
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Updates will be posted as they become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AComn
Beginner

Still nothing? Go figure.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I haven't received any information. I am still waiting for information about it.

I will post any information as it become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos