Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

computer sleeps with sleep settings to off

SCOTT_S_Intel
Employee

I have a puzzler with a Windows 8.1 system. Even though under power options both sleep and hibernate are set to "never" as is turning off the display, the system is still sleeping. I'm running automated tests overnight, so I'm wondering if the automation tool is the cause. Whatever the case, tests get blocked because the system has fallen asleep. Taking a look at the Windows event logs, it does show the system going to sleep due to it being idle. Any feedback would be appreciated! The system I'm testing has a 7265/STP card.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi scsmith45,

Let me help you with this.

I would like to verify more information about the system and the issue you are having so I can have a clear picture of the issue.

Please provide the following:

1. What is the computer brand and model?
  2. Where are you changing the power options?
  3. What is the name of the automation tool you mentioned?
  4. Was the Wireless adapter installed by you?

Kevin M

0 Kudos
SCOTT_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Kevin,

I'm doing internal testing with a BDW-ULT board. The tool is something one of our developers created, so it's for internal use only. I'm managing power options via Win 8.1's power options from the control panel (where you can select a power plan, and then choose advanced settings). I did install the wireless adapter.

The issue is intermittent -- I ran tests overnight and it worked fine. When it went to sleep the other day, the system event log does show an S3 event, with the cause a vague application API request, but no mention of which application.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

So why do you think this is being caused by the Wireless adapter?

If you uninstall this software you mentioned, what happens? Is the issue still happening?

Kevin M

0 Kudos
SCOTT_S_Intel
Employee

It sometimes will go to sleep even if the automation software isn't running (it's a stand-alone executable). I don't 100% know if it's the wireless adapter or not, I just selected this particular community as it was associated with what I'm testing. The issue is intermittent and unpredictable.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Can you please try the system without the wireless adapter?

0 Kudos