4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 3:23 PM by doctorwho8

Regarding powering the two Galileo boards

doctorwho8

Hello!

When I bought the excellent book on the Galileo gen1 board, that Matt Richardson wrote, it mentioned that the board must be powered via its plug-in power supply. That's also true for the Gen2 board as well.

But supposes the targetted application is one of working inside a case, away from AC power. Is there a list of supported battery packs someplace?

• 1. Re: Regarding powering the two Galileo boards
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi doctorwho8,

It's possible to use battery packs to power up the Galileo Board. However, you should have an external circuit to shut the Galileo Board down when the power gets too low. There isn't a supported list of battery packs but you can check this thread where there is a discussion about using battery packs to power up the Galileo: Battery Pack w Galileo

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Regarding powering the two Galileo boards
            doctorwho8

Hello!

Okay then. It turns out that Parallax, a company who makes a family of excellent microcontrollers, does make a good sized battery pack. It does not where a protective circuit like the one that you are thinking, That's this thing, http://www.parallax.com/product/28989 it also has an onboard charge function.

As is this one, http://www.parallax.com/product/28988 for what I might be planning, I figure I'll adapt that one. For demonstrations, it would be the first. As for your power shutdown circuit, it shouldn't be too hard......

• 3. Re: Regarding powering the two Galileo boards
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi doctorwho8,

The battery pack you linked has "Nominal 7.4 VDC output". That means if you use it with the Galileo Gen 1 you will damage the board since the Gen 1 Board requires 5V. If you are planning to use it with the Galileo Gen 2 Board there is no problem with the voltage output since the board requires an input voltage range from 7V to 15V. Just be careful with the details, and remember to add an external circuit to shut the Galileo Board down when the power gets too low before use the battery pack.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Regarding powering the two Galileo boards
                doctorwho8

Hello!

The packs both contain five volt regulators to provide it to the circuits that use it, specifically the devices that Parallax does make. That output you mentioned is the nominal voltage of the two batteries in series.

As for powering the Gen1, it would work properly on the 5 volts being delivered from the board.

And for powering the Gen2, it would be powered from the default output from the two batteries, I think there's a place on the board for delivering a seemingly unregulated output directly.

As always you do make a good point.