Ok, I seem to have found my problem --- USB Cable.
I tried a shorter USB Cable and it now sees the Galileo board.
The original cables I tried were 6 footers; the one that works is around 3 feet long.
Ok, might not have been a problem with a long USB cable. Today I had the same problems and after some debugging, I realized that I have a Vmware Virtual machine running and it had captured the virtual serial port that arduino needed. Once I did a Vmware Setup Disconnect of the port, I was ok. I don't have the longer USB cable here to see if it actually had an effect but I now lean towards the problem being associated with Vmware.