11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 1:04 PM by Caminante-Networks

NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive

E-Creation

My NUC DC53427HYE BIOS v.0034 won't boot USB drives in UEFI mode.

The same drives are formatted correctly and it works fine on other NUC models.

Drive appears inside BIOS and on F10 boot menu.

From F10 Menu: If I select USB line, then press Enter, the system goes back to F10 menu again

If I don't press F10, UEFI ignores my USB drive, even though I set USB boot device first option.

• 1. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
          sylvia_intel

E-Creation,  I was able to set up a lab in order to test this behavior. 

At the beginning my NUC had BIOS version 0030, I tried to boot from a regular USB flash driver and it booted without problems.

I updated the BIOS to the next BIOS versions available which were versions 32, 33 and 34.

Once each BIO was installed on the NUC, I tried to boot from the same USB drive and it booted.

I would recommend you to install BIOS version 0034 again, but please use the F7 method. 

You can also try another USB device as part of the troubleshooting process.

• 2. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
            E-Creation

Hello!

First of all, thank you for your answer and sorry for my belated reply.

I notice my issue happens in UEFI mode only.

I downgraded to 30 via F7 Menu but didn't work.

I updated from 30 to 33 via F7 Menu but didn't work.

I updated from 33 to 34 via F7 Menu but didn't work.

30 and 33 versions shows my USB partition inside Visual Bios and F7 Menu, but don't show it inside F10 Menu and a "A bootable device has not been detected" message appears.

I plugged in my USB drives to USB 2.0 ports or USB 3.0 ports, but the behavior does not change.

I also used different USB drives, but nothing change.

So, I wanted to upgrade from 33 to 34 but new issue has come.

During last days I tried to configure and test Intel AMT. It worked fine! Then I reset it to default and reset CMOS, to test your advices about my UEFI boot issue. (That's the reason of my belated answer.)

Now, I can't upgrade to 34 BIOS version via F7 Menu. BIOS Update stops at the "Flashing image for Intel Management Engine Firmware" step.

The error message are:

FW Update Sample Application ERROR FwUpdateFullBuffer [failed]

Flash Update failed!

Technical information: (0x8000000000000015, 1566)

I had UEFI boot problems even before that new problem, but now, I also can't upgrade to 34.

What could I do?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
              sylvia_intel

Which operating system that you are using? I’m asking that because if you are using Windows 7, it will be necessary to have “Legacy boot” enable on BIOS.

Regarding the installation of BIOS v34, please try using the recovery method. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm

• 4. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                E-Creation

I want to install Win 8.1 64bit.

I tried that method, but NUC reboot continuosly and it doesn't show any image on the screen, monitor seems to be in stand by mode.

• 5. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                  sylvia_intel

Would you please remove all the components from the NUC (memory, network adapter, A/C power) for about 30 minutes?

Then, power on the NUC and try to access BIOS. Once you are in BIOS please run default settings.

Try using a different USB flash drive or a new Windows 8.1 image.

• 6. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                    E-Creation

I tried to switch of NUC without any component for at least 2 hours and reset default settings, but nothing changed.

Finally, I have been able to update BIOS without errors through a recovery process (no jumpers) and F7 Menu, but USB UEFI boot does not work yet.

I tried to use Windows 8.1 OEM DVD onto USB Optical drive and different USB bootable images like Acronis TrueImage USB Bootable image, Linux SysRescueCD USB image on the my two same pendrives, but they don't work.

Tomorrow I'll try with a new Kingston 16GB pendrive, but I'm feeling that nothing will change.

Any further advice?

Current BIOS installed is 0034.

Thanks a lot for your support.

• 7. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                      E-Creation

I confirm that the new Kingston pendrive does not work.

If EFI and legacy boot options are both activated, then F10 menu shows my drive otherwise It does not show it.

If I try to chose UEFI USB with Enter button, it only refresh the screen with no boot effects.

F10 menu shows:

UEFI : USB : UEFI : USB : USB Flash Disk 1100 : PART 0 : OS Bootloader : PART

• 8. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                        sylvia_intel

With UEFI enabled you would need to press the F10 key to choose your boot source. If you disable that option on BIOS the system will boot from USB automatically.

When UEFI is enable, BIOS will attempt to boot via UEFI before using the legacy boot sequence.

Please give it a try and let me know the results. This is a picture from my settings

BIOS boot info.JPG

In addition to that, I remember users reporting issues with BIOS version 33 and 34. It looks like these 2 BIOS version are not keeping the BOOT order that was previously save on BIOS.

Please check this Microsoft page in order to create a boot image http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

I would recommend you also to format the USB flash drive before saving the OS image.

• 9. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                          E-Creation

Hello!

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I have had to give back NUC to my customer (they borrowed it to me for test reasons), so I can't test on it anymore.

However, I'm almost sure I already took that action, but didn't work.

I adopted the following workaround (to install Win 8.1 Pro UEFI):

- Activate UEFI and Legacy boot

- F10 Menu

- Selected UEFI boot via USB Optical device

Conclusions:

USB UEFI Optical device work, instead USB UEFI pendrives don't work.

USB UEFI Optical device works only if UEFI and Legacy boot are both activated; if I disable "Legacy", it disappears from F10 Menu.

• 10. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                            sylvia_intel

Too bad we could not try it, but at least you got it to work.   Thanks for sharing the information with us

• 11. Re: NUC DC53427HYE won't boot USB UEFI drive
                              Caminante-Networks

E-Creation

I have a NUC with the same issue "NUC doesn't show any image on the screen, monitor seems to be in stand by mode."

I read you could update your BIOS after this; so, how do you revived your NUC?. I tried removing all the components from the NUC (RAM and mSATA) one night and nothing happens. My NUC start but doesn't show nothing on monitor.

I hope you can guide me, thanks in advance.

By the way. I bought a Sandisk USB (Cruzer Blade) that's recognized as hard disk, then I formated with Rufus selecting UEFI and it works. The format of USB is very important to be recognized as an UEFI Boot capable device.