Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

How to Identify Either my Laptop Socket is BGA or rPGA?

idata
Employee

So i have a HP Pavillion 14 - E019TX

I am having conflict on identifying either my laptop Socket is BGA or rPGA

Processor L Core i5 3230M

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello EddieLeon, you will be able to find out the type of socket of your processor by checking this link ark.intel.com. According to it the I5-3230M processor supports PGA socket http://ark.intel.com/products/72164/Intel-Core-i5-3230M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-rPGA ARK | Intel® Core™ i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz) rPGA

Please check the additional information on these 2 types on sockets.

PGA = Pin Grid Array. PGA CPUs are inserted into a socket which means they can potentially be upgraded in the future. The BIOS must recognize the CPU though otherwise the laptop (or desktop) may not boot at all or the CPU runs at reduced speeds.

BGA = Ball Grid Array. These CPUs are soldered directly into the motherboard (embedded) which makes them extremely difficult / impossible to replace the CPUs without proper equipment. It is doubtful that a laptop (desktop) with a BGA socket CPU would support other CPU models
idata
Employee

So :

1. i can upgrade my laptop's cpu?

2. So my Processor has a PGA Socket? (CONFIRMATION)

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Since the processor is not soldered to the motherboard on your system, you would be able to change it. However it will be necessary to contact the system manufacturer so they can let you know if that is possible for sure.

0 Kudos