3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 8:29 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Connecting Edison to Wifi with a signin webpage

Bill_Lindsay

I need to do a demo in a large conference room at my Company.  That room has WiFi, but it's the kind of setup where you are allowed to connect immediately, but then you open a browser, which takes you to a webpage where you enter a username and password.  Then you are really connected.  My Edison sees the Wifi, connects, and has an IP address.  I can ping it from my PC on the same wifi.  But I can't SSH to it or even pull up the device info webpage for my Edison, because I haven't entered that username/password pair.  Is there a way to set this up?

• 1. Re: Connecting Edison to Wifi with a signin webpage
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Bill_Lindsay,

I'm not sure if I understood your description. Are you not able to access the Linux terminal using SSH?

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Connecting Edison to Wifi with a signin webpage
            Bill_Lindsay

Hi Diego, thank you for your reply

I can SSH to the Linux terminal just fine.  In my mind there are three types of WiFi networks I want to connect this Edison to.  A, B, and C.  A and B work great.  C, I can't get it to work.

A.  My home.  I connect to Edison with USB.  I call configure_edison --wifi.  Edison finds my 2WIRE598, and prompts me to enter the 10 digit number that I have as a key.  It gets an IP address 192.16.1.65 and now I can put my Edison anywhere and I can SSH to it via putty to that IP address.  Life is good.

B.  My office.  I connect to Edison with USB,  I call configure_edison --wifi.  Edison finds EngineeringAP, and somehow it knows to prompt me for both a username and a password.  It gets an IP address 10.70.48.70 and now I can put my Edison anywhere and I can SSH to it via putty.  Life is good. 

C.  Corporate HQ.  I connect to Edison with USB, I call configure_edison --wifi.  Edison finds AirTime, and it gets an IP address without me entering anything.  I can't SSH to it.  When I connect to AirTime with my laptop, it also connects directly, but when I open a browser, it pushes me to a Corporate Webpage where I enter a login and a password.  Only after doing that can I actually do anything with my computer.  It's similar to the interaction I have with the internet when I'm at the airport. 

I'm trying to understand if there is a way I can set this up so I can get Edison on the Corporate WiFi.  Can I edit wpa_supplicant?  Are there other Linux shell commands I can run?

Bill

• 3. Re: Connecting Edison to Wifi with a signin webpage
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi Bill_Lindsay,

That seems to be related to the proxy settings. I'll suggest you to try using the following:

export http_proxy="http://user:password@proxy-server:port"

The user and the password are the same you are using with the laptop. You can check which are the proxy-server and the port in the proxy settings in your browser. Hopefully this will works. You can check this site to get a more detailed explanation: HowTo : Use a Proxy on the Linux Command Line | Anonymity, Networks

Regards,

Diego.