1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 10:05 AM by Intel_Jesus

Is there a way to track the memory usage of my sketch on the Edison?

jrupp

I've used code like How much static RAM is used - Arduino Forum on the Arduino to tell how much SRAM is remaining.  After reusing some code from a sketch I've been using on the Edison on an Arduino, I found a memory leak in it, which I was able to fix.  However, I'm wondering if there are any others, and I figured one simple way to tell would be to watch the available memory over time.

Is there a similar approach that works with Arduino sketches on Edison? (neither __brkval nor __bss_end are available on the Edison)  Or is there a different way I can get an idea of my memory usage?  Maybe something in /proc I could look at after getting my PID?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to track the memory usage of my sketch on the Edison?
          Intel_Jesus

Hi   jrupp,

I know two ways to check the memory usage on Linux by using the free command and with cat /proc/meminfo. If you want to use them in a sketch, you can use the system() function, and then send the output into the serial monitor. You would have to use them like this:

//to use free command

system(“free > /dev/ttyGS0”); 

//to use the meminfo 

system(“cat /proc/meminfo > /dev/ttyGS0”);

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus