Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

i5-2400 max operating temperature while under stress?

JWeid2
Beginner

I'm using a sandy i5 2400 and I have run into a problem while playing the new Borderlands game (The Prequel), my core temperatures reach 82C as a max before the temperature stabilizes. I've never had anything like this happen before while playing a game, usually my cores are running around 72C at max while playing games such as Farcry 3, BF4, Borderlands 2, etc...

All my other temps are reading normal so I am worried that maybe this game is just putting too much stress on my processor?

I read here ( ) that the i5 can reach up to 80-90C and still be OK but is this temperature OK to operate at for extended periods of time?

I'm assuming it's not but I'm looking for a solid answer here, thank you.

-j

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Besides the information Sylvia provided in the other thread, it is good idea to consider if something changed in your system because of the lower temperature readings you got in the past.

It is possible that the fan has accumulated some dust and needs cleaning. The thermal interface material (thermal paste) underneath the heatsink may need to be replaced or the heatsink itself is not properly attached to the motherboard.

Processor temperature issues are usually caused by improper fan/heatsink integration or its failure. When properly installed, the heatsink should not wiggle or shake if you attempt to move it; the pins should not come up if you try to pull them up.

It is recommended to clean the fan, check its speed (RPM), and make sure there are no obstructions or noises. The fan should be connected to the motherboard's CPU fan header. Please refer to the following links:

You may monitor the temperature from the BIOS or using the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool available in the link below. We cannot guarantee that other monitoring software tools will provide a correct temperature reading.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

0 Kudos