I had a similar problem and just wanted to update the post with my learning here
Recovering your Intel Edison
[if you have a bad firmware or if you’ve lost the password ]
I followed the same thread as in one of the communities except that I
had limited luck with Windows – I think the MMC area was simply not
getting written or formatted at all. Linux-1 Windows-0
Keep ‘screen’ connected so that you can have a look at the log of
what’s going on with Edison
> sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
1) Download the latest Full Yocto Image for Edison from the Intel
software downloads website
2) Unzip the image into a directory
> unzip edison-image-rel1-maint-rel1-ww42-14.zip -d ~/edison-image/.
3) Connect your Edison to Linux machine – Windows didn’t work well for
me for the same procedure of flashing.
4) Make sure you see the Edison partition accessible in Linux.
5) Copy over the contents of the image [now in the edison-image
directory] to the edison partition that you see in the machine. I
executed the below command, since my partition was mounted at
> cp -rf ~/edison-image/* /media/usb2/.
6) Unmount the partition so that all the files get written to the
MMC. This might take some time.
7) Reboot your edison and keep pressing a button until it take you to
uboot promp with something like > boot
8) Execute the following command
> run do_ota
9) This command should read the ota_update.scr file and then also
flash all the partitions including root. This will take some time
and then the board automatically reboots twice. Keep track of the
logs you see on the screen
And yes, I really did try it - broke my head for sometime with not being able to flash Edison only to realize that it was Windows which was the culprit.
By the way, There is a release of Windows Installer kit - Awesomely flashes the latest Yocto Image for Edison with just click of buttons. For custom images, its old school way, the fun way!
I am getting a blank screen on running
sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200. On this when I click double enter, it asks for login/pw both of which I forgot. You mentioned to keep pressing a key till it shows a
>bootprompt. However this also doesnt come. I am able to completely erase all the files and put new files instead(of the new firware). After disconnecting power, and supplying back again, I am not able to go to root, as it always prompts a login/PW . How do I proceed?