8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 10:13 AM by vjou

dfu-util for Windows

SergeyK

I tried to re-flash my Edison on Windows, which didn't work, apparently because I am using incorrect dfu-util version. I've seen in several places (e.g. here http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/EdisonUserGuide.pdf) that dfu-util needs to be compiled with MSVC instead of MinGW. Where such dfu-util can be downloaded? Do you mind adding this information to Flashing Edison / Windows guide? (Flashing Edison (wired) - Windows)

Meanwhile I successfully re-flashed it on Linux...

Thanks,

Sergey

• 1. Re: dfu-util for Windows
          Intel_Jesus

Hi SergeyK,

Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure which dfu-util version is the correct one, I will look into it and post back.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus

• 2. Re: dfu-util for Windows
            AlexT_Intel

I would even say that it looks like the Windows flashall.bat actually requires either a certain internal tool or a xFSTK in addition to dfu-util to flash the board (on Linux dfu-util alone is enough).

It even helpfully shows the link to xFSTK's SourceForge site when run. The only thing is that there's no Windows version there only a Linux one (maybe it could be compiled for Windows, haven't yet got to try it).

I've asked about that internally, haven't yet got any answer, but @Intel_Jesus , if you could check it out as well, that would be really nice.

• 3. Re: dfu-util for Windows
              David_J_Hunt

I had a look at this earlier today on a few different OS's.

The Mac is explicitly checked for in the flashall.sh script, so it aborts when you attempt to run it on a 'darwin' OS.

I then tried it on a Windows host, and sure enough, there's an extra tool that AlexT mentions that does not seem to be present, so no luck on Windows.

So it looks like the only option is to flash from a Linux host.

• 4. Re: dfu-util for Windows
                vjou

I got dfu-util.exe from here linked in this post. It looks working as you see below.

Though I did not put any option on flashall, it seemed doing flashall -b.

C:\Users\vjou\Intel_edison\Software\edison-image-ww36-14>flashall

Using U-boot target: edison-blank

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Dfu device found

Flashing IFWI

Download        [=========================] 100%      4194304 bytes

Download done.

Download        [=========================] 100%      4194304 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot

Download        [=========================] 100%       245760 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot Environment

Download        [=========================] 100%        65536 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot Environment Backup

Download        [=========================] 100%        65536 bytes

Download done.

Flashing boot partition (kernel)

Download        [=========================] 100%      5799936 bytes

Download done.

Flashing rootfs, (it can take up to 5 minutes... Please be patient)

Download        [=========================] 100%    536870912 bytes

Download done.

Rebooting

U-boot & Kernel System Flash Success...

Your board needs to reboot twice to complete the flashing procedure, please do not unplug it for 2 minutes.

• 5. Re: dfu-util for Windows
                  AlexT_Intel

Though I did not put any option on flashall, it seemed doing flashall -b.

That's exactly the case, "-b" was necessary in the earlier version of this script, but now no switches means the same.

• 6. Re: dfu-util for Windows
                    Intel_Alvarado

Were the previous suggestions helpful? If you still need assistance please reply with your questions.

Regards

Sergio

• 7. Re: dfu-util for Windows
                      marblegravy

@vjou - That verison of dfu-util worked for me.

I put it in the same folder as flashall.bat and I could flash the Edison just fine. If I tried to use --recover it complained I didn't have xfstk tools, but a straight flash worked fine. Didn't fix my issue of no longer having a serial interface at all though

• 8. Re: dfu-util for Windows
                        vjou

Hi marblegravy,

I'm sorry to hear that. No serial interface is really pain.

FYI, if you need --recover option, this post (flashall.sh changes to allow re-partitioning without xFSTK) may help you. You have to modify the "flashall.bat" and modification for Windows' batch is posted here (Re: flashall.sh changes to allow re-partitioning without xFSTK).